Where to get replacement woofer for Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

I need to replace one woofer on my Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy speakers. The suspension of the woofer is starting to crack and I would like to replace it, before it splits entirely all around.

My speakers are the very early generation 5.1 and I have thought about getting in touch with a Wilson Audio distributor, but they will probably charge me an arm and a leg to get it replaced, and the other woofers may fail in a relatively short time, which would then be extemely expensive.

Thus, with the above in mind, I would like to hear from people who have done such replacement and where did you purchase the woofer. I believe the woofers are made by Focal, but I have not removed it yet to find the exact reference.

Any information would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Yves

Yes, you are right: the remaining units are probably not far behind.

Since only the suspension (foam) is damaged, and the Dynaudio speakers hard to not possible to find, has anybody attempted a foam replacement on this type of speakers? I have found kits on Ebay or others for that specific type of speakers (21W54).

Any opinions would be welcome.

Yves

Madisound, services Dynaudio drivers, they call this a recone, but I'd think that they'd just do the foam if that's all you need:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=125&products_id=177

I don't know if this is factory authorized service, and while I deal with Madisound often I have no experience with their recone service. I do like dealing with them. Please let us know if you do end up using the service.

Pete B.

ARCANE said:
My speakers are the very early generation 5.1 and I have thought about getting in touch with a Wilson Audio distributor, but they will probably charge me an arm and a leg to get it replaced, and the other woofers may fail in a relatively short time, which would then be extemely expensive.

Yves,

I'd suggest mailing Wilson directly with your question (try sherri[at]wilsonaudio.com as first port of call). Remember to be spcific about why you're asking (cost, etc.). You may find that they give quite helpful advice and not just palm you off onto one of their distributors.

Their main selling point is the ability to get re-sales and to do that they need to be able to respond to all their customers needs. I must admint I'm not overly enamoured of their products, but I can't fault they're build quality or their marketting, and I haven't yet heard a bad thing about their customer service either. So, if you like the product, go direct!

It's always worked for me in the past (like the time I bought some new noodles in the supermarket; I liked them, so I mailed the manufacturer saying so. 2 weeks later, a box conataining about 5 packets of ALL of their noodle products arrived on my door - took us over a year to finish them all). Or the time that one of my acquaintences had some trouble with one of the Pass amplifiers - they paid to have it shipped back (twice) and repaired.

There are two models of the 21W54. One is designated as a 21W-54. I believe. I have a pair of these but I do not think they are the ones that went into the Watt/Puppys. The difference in these drivers is the qts. One model works in very small enclosres of about .5 or less cubic foot. The other ones need about 1 cubic foot. The ones that fit in the small enclosures have a very poor bass response. Much less extended than most 6 inch drivers.

Just a heads up so if you replace the drivers to be sure you don't make a mistake with the wrong ones. Since the numbers are so similar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.