Event Studio Monitor Problem - Please HELP!

Hi all,

I currently have a pair of Event TR-6 bi-amped monitors and I am having a problem with one of them. As soon as I power the unit on, I hear a loud fuzz/static sound coming from both speakers. It does appear that the fuzz is louder from the tweeter, but that could be due to the nature of the fuzz (i.e. not much low freq. stuff).

When I run an audio signal to the unit at a normal level, if I listen closely (head next to speaker), I can barely hear the audio underneath the fuzz. It seems like it would be something in the signal path before the speakers and possibly before the amps.

I have tried swapping power and signal cables with the working unit, but it did not change anything.

One possible thing that may have caused this is electrostatic discharge. I noticed this problem for the first time after I felt a shock when I pushed on the power button. :Ohno:

Unfortunately, this problem started right after my warranty had expired. I know I could send the unit in for repair, but I fear that the cost of shipping plus the actual repair combined would be close to that of a new unit. That is why I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to repair the unit myself? I do have some background in electronics, so I would be comfortable if you could give me a starting point or have any ideas of what could be wrong based on experience.

I have contacted Event and they gave me the schematic (attached), but had no ideas for what could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help, I would love to get back to making music!

Please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Thanks again :)

The schematic was too big to attach. If anyone would like it that could help me out, I can email it.

I swapped out the tweeters and woofers to verify that they still work, and they do. So that is good! So that leaves the amps, active crosovers, subsonic filter, input amp or power supply.

I have it all torn apart right now and I have given it a good visual inspection and do not see any obvious problems.

Any ideas of what could be going on or some direction on how to troubleshoot other sections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Possible solution to failed amp.

Sorry to latch on to such an old post; I have a TR6 that started doing the same thing- Low output (maybe a power transistor or power stage issue?). Did either of you fix your TR6's? Can I get a copy of the schematics? Thanks for your help.

Chuck

I might be a bit late, but let me see if this helps.
I bought a pair of TR8's that were used and one was known to be bad. It had the same symptoms, really low output from both drivers even with them turned up all the way.
Doing some basic circuit tracing and probing, I found that the sensitivity pot had opened up on the wiper leg. I have two linear and two audio taper pots coming in the mail. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Repaired TR8!

I might be a bit late, but let me see if this helps.
I bought a pair of TR8's that were used and one was known to be bad. It had the same symptoms, really low output from both drivers even with them turned up all the way.
Doing some basic circuit tracing and probing, I found that the sensitivity pot had opened up on the wiper leg. I have two linear and two audio taper pots coming in the mail. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BINGO!
Replacing the sensitivity pot did the trick. These TR8's are back in the mix, so to speak.;)

Same here. After 15 years one of the 6" speakers isn't working anymore. Voltagesa are okay an the chassis is fine. The pot is okay, as well. I can't figure out how to measure the switch, but the results are the same for the broken unit and the one working.

Could anyone send me copy of the schematic?

Regards, Niklas

Is it too late to say “me too!”

So I just bought my second pair of TR8’s, and one of the speakers I bought today has the same issue as every one on this thread has experienced. If it is not too much trouble, I would really appreciate a copy of the schematic sent to my email as well. Also, if anyone has recommendations for a good parts supplier, I would really appreciate it. Any pictures would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.