NHT 3.3 Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An LT is a good alternative. But it won't be very different- flat is flat. At an f3 of 18Hz, the extension is pretty good.:D

To show how truly sick I am, I'm currently running the 1259s to 32Hz, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley high pass, then crossing over to a pair of eq'd JBL 2245H in 10 cu ft cabinets. A pair of 500W Sunfire mono amps run the JBLs, with the 1259s powered by a stereo 250Wpc Sunfire.

Dynamic range is not a problem.

edit: The blown cap in all four speakers was C2, but one speaker had a bad C3.

I'll check with Jack Hidley and see if he has the pdfs. If so, I'll post them at my site. If not, I'll scan the hard copies that I have.

The tweeter doesn't have a back chamber, but does have ferrofluid. It's a stone-stock SEAS H534 (25TAF/D). Of all the drivers, it's the easiest one to substitute.

Looks like Madisound has the replacement domes for the tweeters also.

Noticed the large (71 uF) series cap on the SEAS midrange which suggests a low crossover point. Specs call out 320 Hz which is rather low for a small driver with a 1" voice coil. I'd expect some thermal compression there. Will also result in more IM distortion. Curious as to why they didn't choose a higher XO.

Pete B.

Looks, in Figure 3, as if it starts off at 12 dB/Oct then 24 below 200 Hz. Seems to be 3dB down at the crossover, LR4 should be 6, probably, roughly a B3?

Figure 2 does seem to show that the lower mid needs about 2 dB more output. JA states that he made the "anechoic" measurement below 300 Hz using nearfield measurements. Ah, probably as shown in Fig 3. Interesting, that the driver outputs all hit the 0 dB mark in Fig 3, whereas the vector sum in Fig 2 suggests that there is some phase error shown as reduced output in the lower bass passband. I understand that your crossover mod provides a correction for this issue.

The lower mid has a narrow passband, and could certainly be taken up to 500 or 700 Hz, wonder how 300 Hz was chosen.

Pete B.

I don't know for sure, but I can guess. The Foster driver seems to have some breakup at 1k or so (there's a wiggle in the impedance curve right about there), and perhaps extending its range makes this audible. And there could perhaps be some advantage in coherency to letting a single driver handle as much of the midrange as possible.

I did see that one previously, but I was curious also about the rest of the response above 200 Hz. That is above the woofer crossover but was curious anyway.

That is interesting, looks like you're losing 5 or 6 dB, that would be one boundary, not full loss. Is the floor concrete or regular flooring?

And this has your bass boost filter, so a normal 3.3 would have 10 dB more attenuation at 20 Hz, if I'm following correctly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.