Finding the perfect open baffle woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I have come close to the perfect open baffle woofer and would love to find two more. I know now what to look for with the TSP's but the old drivers don't have any specs and the ones that I have now were found by accident. Is there something in particular to look for when I'm out yard sale-ing?

I thought I had a formula of a light finger thump on the cone and listen for the "signature" but even that is no guaranty as I recently found out. I guess short of me finding the exact drivers I have now it's just buy em cheap and take a chance eh?

If these drivers weren't so amazing I wouldn't even have started down this open baffle road but now I'm hooked and finding out that good OB drivers are very rare.

Thanks,

Albert

Well, don't keep us in suspense about the woofer's name...

:)

However, I suspect the ultimate open baffle bass driver currently would be the Adire Tumult. Open basket, 34mm xmax, fancy motor.

I have Adire DPL12s which are very nice also, and the Stryke AV12 or AV15 would seem to be good.

And there are the big Aurasounds, although at $700 a pop they would stretch the budget.

Cheers

Steve

I am posting at work (on my break:) ) so I don't have the part no's, but they are a pair of Magnavox 15's out of a console and they were free to boot!

I have many old AlniCo drivers and none even come close to the deep bass these do. I even have another Magnavox 15 with the identical cone and basket that sounds completely different than these do.

I am currently just experimenting with one baffle which is 3 ft wide and 7 ft tall. I started out with it 4 x 8 and cut it down to see what kind of bass loss I would have.

My question would be: if I could get the TSP's on these and could find another modern driver with the same parameters, would they sound the same? Hmmmm

Albert

I've done a fair bit of research on open baffles and really it comes down to two options:

1 One large 'full-range' unit in a very large baffle with no EQ etc. Advantages, cheaper option, very little in the signal path to 'spoil' things.

Disadvantages, limited bass response, possiblr uneven response, size of baffle.

2 Multiple drive units in small baffle with subwoofer(s) using crossovers and/or EQ.

Advantages, even frequency response across a wide range, smaller space required.

Disadvantages, cost and more interference with original signal.

As I already have a pair of Goodmans 201's, (and very little money), I'm going to try the large baffle and see if I like it. If I do but want a smaller solution, I'll have to save up for something along the lines of the Phoenix.

And if I don't, I still have the 110 litre ported cabinets to return the 201's to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.