Soundeasy: how to: Inches not Meters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Question Soundeasy: how to: Inches not Meters

Sorry if this has been posted a dozen times before, but I searched and couldn't find it!

How do you set Soundeasy to use inches instead of meters?

It would really be a big pain to have to convert everything before entering it in!

I don't understand why there's not just an obvious box to check under "preferences"?
Old 5th June 2008, 08:40 PM   #2
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
well....

you may find it ultimately easier to "learn metric" at least from a practical use standpoint. can you hold your fingers 3 inches apart reasonably accurately?

Can you hold them 75mm apart?

is the mic a meter away or is it just over a yard?

I bet you could find a tape measure in metric units faster than you'll get metric units in SE.

I know it's not the answer you want, but until you have a real solution, just memorize the conversions. 2.54 cm per inch or 25.4 mm per inch or .039 inches per millimeter. or type it into google in this form:

## inches in meters

it'll spit out this: ## inches = YYYY meters

at least it's fast.
Old 5th June 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't think there is a way to switch units in SE. Besides, almost all driver t/s parameters, dimensions etc. are in metric units anyway.

The only places in SE where I normally have to convert to metric units are the cabinet dimensions and baffle layout, and this is just if I don't remember to design the cabinet in metric units in the first place.

In fact I wish my Jasper jig was set up to use metric units so I didn't have to worry about figuring out what hole is within 1/16" of my driver which is 144 mm in diameter

Regards,

Dennis
Old 5th June 2008, 09:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally posted by y8s
well....

you may find it ultimately easier to "learn metric" at least from a practical use standpoint. can you hold your fingers 3 inches apart reasonably accurately?

Metric is easy to use, of course, and, it's easy to remember that 15 cm is approx. 6 inches. (and, as you say, 2.54 cm = 1 inch precisely)

When all the measurements I use (except for some T/S, as Dennis points out above) are ALREADY in inches, however, it's rediculous to convert each and every one first, before I can type it in to the program. I don't want to convert 1 7/8" to cm in my head (of course it can be done, but I don't want to be thinking about conversion, I want to be concentrating on other aspects of the speaker).

It would be great if US (and UK) would switch to the Metric system, but, until them, it's simply unreasonable for software not to support English measurements???
Old 5th June 2008, 10:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

do everything in a spreadsheet, then conversion is a breeze.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You might try an easy converter, like this one. It's free. I use it all the time for with SE as well as Unibox, etc. for distance, area, volume,etc. conversions. It is very easy and quick to use.
Convert
Old 6th June 2008, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Maybe this will by helpful:
http://miary.hoga.pl/ -convert program

Best
C
Old 6th June 2008, 01:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

six from top is -LENGTh
five from top is -cubature
Old 6th June 2008, 04:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iain McNeill
do everything in a spreadsheet, then conversion is a breeze.
My table saw is in inches, my router jig is in inches, since everything we do here day to day is in inches, feet, yards, miles, etc., it's easier to think in inches. Boards, tubes, screws, etc., that I buy,all come in INCHES.

When I'm figuring out what baffle size I want, I want to work in inches - type in 7 inches, see the results, not quite right? Let's try 8 inches then... Etc.

It's a lot easier to add the option to a program to choose what units to work in, than it is to use a program where you have to keep converting continuously each time you enter data.

edit: yes, of course there are lots of easy to use conversion web pages, programs, etc, but you shouldn't have to do that.
Old 6th June 2008, 06:56 PM   #10
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
not sure if it's patented, but CAD programs use a fantastic way to convert units on the fly.

Solidworks:
say you're drawing something in mm but have a measurement you want to use in inches. simple. in the entry box you just type in "XX in" and it parses it and converts it for you.

Pro/E:
you can do math in the entry box so you'd enter XX*25.4 for inches to mm conversion.

be nice if SE did one or both.

Hide this!Advertise here!