Jordan 2 way speakers advice please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Making a set of speakers for my father and was thinking of using 2 x Jordan JXR6 HD and 2 x 6x9 inch car bass drivers (firing downwards in a bass reflex cabinet). The bass speakers are dictated by the shape of the cabinet. I need advice as to what crossover to use and what size the sealed top cabinet for the Jordan units should be? Is 200 hz the right crossover point?

Cheers

Will

Howdy - the Jordan site recommends anything up to 4 litres for the JXR6. 3 litres is about optimum for a maximum flat response. I'm currently using a 2.2L enclosure for mine and they run to around 100Hz, used fullrange with no x-over (in fact no bass units at all at the moment).

Crossing over at 200Hz would give more headroom and be safer for bass output - the less LF extended JX53s crossed at 500Hz with a 6dB xover.

Which car bass units are you using?

Thanks for the advice- I meant to say 2x jordan 50mm units and 1x bass unit per speaker.

As I would like to get a decent oval shaped bass unit and a car unit is not advised, are there any oval bass alternatives? The cabinet design looks great so it would be a shame if i cannot find a suitable unit, the only other option I can see is to ditch the design and use 2 jordan units in a small enclosure with a sub.

With two JXR6s per side the sat/sub idea is a good one. Google the Bandor Pentachord for an example. You could probably get away with using the sealed box to roll off the sats and an active sub - no messing around with crossovers.

The JXR6s are 4 ohms so you'll need to connect in series or run in parallel with a series resistor.

Thanks Cal and Colin-

The speaker links are just what i need and the prices are very reasonable. Thanks so much.

Will the little Jordans cope without crossovers? I think they might get the occasional punishment with loud classical. The bass speakers will be firing downwards and won't be visible - If i were to use crossovers what is recommended? around 180?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.