Linkwitz Phoenix improvements? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2008, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz Phoenix improvements?

Greetings,

I recently looked at the linkwitzlab website after not visiting in over two years and found lots of stuff relating to improvements to the Orion, but less so for the Phoenix.

From a business perspective it doesn't surprise me that Mr. Linkwitz would focus his energy on the Orion.

However, I believe that most if not all the "tweaks" and improvements that have been done to the Orion can be applied to the Phoenix. I was an early builder of the Phoenix and have the Gefco X6100 woofers in the dipole sub.

If anybody has modded their Phoenix, please chime in on what you've done.

This is a short list of things I'm going to try in the coming weeks to get them closer to the latest incarnation of the Orion:

1. Add a rear-firing tweeter on the back of the panel. I have an unused pair of SS 2905/9300 that have similar electrical specs to the stock 2905/9700 that I will mount. The series resistor padding of the rear tweeter was apparently only a temporary solution. Since I don't have access to the "support page" I don't have details of how Mr. Linkwitz is implementing this on the active crossover board. I expect that there is some dipole equalization along with level shifting that needed to be done when he decided to drive both tweeters with the same power.

2. Cutout openings in the back midrange mounting panel to open up the back. I always thought this was a limitation of the original phoenix design. I'm going to take a circle cutting tool and cut a few big holes in the back. I think the re-radiation out the front from the reflected energy is pretty significant.

3. Disable one of the 8" midranges and implement the 4th order woofer/midrange crossover. I will try this only because I do some listening standing up and I've always wondering if lobing because of the MTM arrangement was hurting something.

Anybody?
Old 15th June 2008, 01:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Phoenix

I have a Phoenix system using the Orion PC boards from Linkwitz. Email me offline and I can help to some degree.

-T
Old 16th June 2008, 11:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You might want to post on here I think they also know a lot about the Phoenix

http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewforum.php?f=1

Hide this!Advertise here!