Top opinions for a pair of SB Acoustics SB29NRX75-6 10 Woofers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2008, 11:39 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
btw ... it seem theres a new model FR125 with different (better?)chassis
To meet RoHS the FR125S was moved to a new chassis. It has 4 legs instead of 6 and is more open. The new designation is FR125SR.

As Al Wooley has shown these can make an excellent mid-tweeter ... and they respond to a little care & attention as well

dave
Old 5th August 2008, 06:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have obtained my drivers:

Seas 27TDFC - http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=792

CSS WR125S - http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...asurements.pdf

SB Acoutics SB29NRX75-6 10" Woofer - http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8303

I'm going to use an active computer controlled x-over. I would like to make the speaker 6-7 inches wide, but this means I would have to side mount the woofer. Or I could mount it at a 30 degree angle from the front of the woofer to the side panel. I would like to cross the mid to woofer around 300 Hz, but might be able to go as low as 200 Hz or lower, I don't know.

Is there any way to pull off a slim speaker with my driver choices?

I will make the 10" woofer sealed or ported. An optimum TL will be too large I think. If I can't make a slim speaker I think I might make a Avalon type clone. Might actually be better, now that I think about it, so kids don't knock it over. Although, I can always make the bottom wider with the slim speaker.
Old 15th August 2008, 10:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Interesting note about the SB woofer:
The sensitivity is taken at 31.6 cm at 2.83 Volts and is advertised at 88 "2.83V/1m" when is should be 10 dB less, I think. Or more accurately: the graph should be down 10 dB at 1 meter. What a bunch of dirty birdies, lol.

Also the Madisound specs differ from SB website specs.

I gave up on the idea of making the SB woofer side mounted.

Almost forgot, here's the graph: http://www.sbacoustics.com/images/10_graph.jpg
Old 15th August 2008, 10:39 PM   #14
breez is offline breez  Finland
diyAudio Member

Probably the graph has been adjusted to show sensitivity at 1 meter even if measured nearer. 79dB/2.83V is ridiculous.
Old 16th August 2008, 01:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I briefly thought that. But then I thought about the Dayton RSS265HO-4 which in it's specs boasts a 87 dB 2.83 V/1m and in the pdf a 84 dB 1 W/m, which makes sense, but it's graph shows it at maybe 82 dB, although it doesn't note the mic distance or power input.

The Sb Acoustics SB34NRX75-6, I think is more like 79 db at 2.83 Volts at 1 meter or slightly under 2W per meter. At 1W per meter it looks like it could be 76 dB.

I could measure it, but it doesn't matter to my speaker design. Both the SB34NRX75-6 and the Dayton RSS265HO-4 look liek they are about 80 dB at 2.83 Volts or 2W per meter, if tested on the same type of baffle.
Old 16th August 2008, 03:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have the 6" SB Acoustics woofers (88-90dB in graph, mic at 31.6cm), but no SPL calibrated microphone. When I get my boxes, I'll have to see how great the difference in sensitivity is to Seas H1499 quoted at 92dB/2.83V/1m with graphs showing almost 95dB at high midrange. Luckily I'm going for a digital crossover so I don't have to deal with a possible 10dB+ difference in sensitivity
Old 16th August 2008, 04:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I will also be using an active cross-over, but I thought the claimed SB SPL was worth mentioning. It's a 10 dB lie. That's a lot of dBs to lie about lol -- I do have to hand it to them though, they did mention the mic distance and Voltage and Baffle type in the SPL graph.

Also I wanted to know whether I should use these specs at madisound or SB Acoustics to build my speakers. But I don't think any one can say which QMS and QES is correct. I guess I will have to go with madisound specs or measure them myself

Madisound:

Mechanical Q-factor (Qms) 8.4
Electrical Q-factor (Qes) 0.37
Total Q-factor (Qts) 0.36

SB website:

Mechanical Q-factor (Qms) 5.7
Electrical Q-factor (Qes) 0.38
Total Q-factor (Qts) 0.35
Old 16th August 2008, 05:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The difference in paramters seems pretty minor. I'm not familiar with TL, all I know at this point that vented enclosures are much more sensitive to differences in T/S parameters than closed enclosures. Try modeling with both and see if the difference is anything to worry about?
Old 17th August 2008, 03:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I modeled both the parameters madisound's and SB's in dosbox. Not much difference according to the dosbox, especially for a tl as you (breez) stated.

I decided on a TL of 600 cm^2 cross-sectional area and 2 meters long. Dosbox does not have an input value for the distance of the woofer from the starting point of the line (28 cm I'm thinking). Is this really significant? I used to use MJK's worksheets to model some tls and they had some sort of driver position value. I don't notice much of a difference in response when changing the driver distance from the start of the line.

I will be using http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/ as the software (and firmware?) for the cross-over hopefully.

I guess I will make the midrange sealed. I also thought of making some type of resonance killing enclosure (variant of a tl?) for the mid, but I guess there is no room. I think I might try to draw this enclosure in Autocad before I make it. That might fill me with rage though
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

How small can I make the enclosure for the WR125S high passed at around 300 Hz at 12 or 24 db, without hurting the sound quality?

I realize this is a moronic question. But I think it can be very small since I am high passing it at 300 Hz, 200 at the lowest. I don't think the Q of the box should matter too much.

Hide this!Advertise here!