Surround style dipole : simulating box and expected SPL ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
for this project, I might have to go for dipole surrounds (HT style dipole, see picture below). The room can be "seen" here and it is quite obvious (coverage angle) why dipole are likely to work better... The room is roughly 6.0mx3.0m (this is the rectangle area).

My first issue, is that WinLSD does not seem to propose this kind of set up. Any idea how the box should be calculated ?

Second question, does a dipole produces as much SPL as one driver (but "in more space"), twice as much SPL as a single driver or there is no link ?

I am asking because I do not really know where to go in terms of size. Following Dr Geddes advices, I think I will go for a full range (one on the cheap side), but between 5', 6' and 8', I do not what would suit...

The drives that that seem to fit the purpose (at this stage) are the Monacors SP-200MX, SP-200X, SP-165X and SPH-60X, or the Beyma 8AGN.
That's a quite wide range I think so please fire your advice if you have any...

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dipole.png
    dipole.png
    2 KB · Views: 170
Basta! can give a hint about what will happen if the box is simulated as an open baffle. Now, the box is not an open baffle but for low frequencies it will behave just as one.

Below is a comparison of a 20x30 cm baffle and a closed box with the same dimensins of the front baffle. The thin line is the maximum output level.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For higher frequencies , when the depth of the box becomes comparable fractions of the wavelength the simulation will not be as accurate, though.

Hi Svante, thanks for the hint, I did not know Basta! and use WinLSD Pro alpha.

I will have a look.

I assume you simulated both the OB and the closed box with one loudspeaker ?

As well, what would you guess in terms of SPL for such design dipole design ? I mean compared to a one drive closed or BR system.

I am afraid of generating either "too much sound" or not enough (2x8' or 2x5').

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.