Vifa Tweeter Selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a suitable tweeter to go with the Peerless 6.5" Nomex Mid Woofer in a bookshelf 2-way design.
This will be my first speaker project. I can buy Vifa drivers quite cheaply so I think I will stick with a Vifa tweeter.

However, I am confused as to which Vifa tweeter will match well with the Peerless woofer. How do we tell by looking at the frequency graph of the tweeter and the woofer that a tweeter would crossover well with a woofer? Do we look at the amount of overlap? What should the crossover point be?

The tweeters I have in mind are:

XT19TD00-04
DX25TG-05-4
D26NC-55-06
D27TG-05-06
D27TG-45-06

Any feedback on the quality cons/pros of the above tweeters much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know where the Peerless woofer and the above Vifa tweeters are made these days?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

peter_m said:
Vifa DQ25SC05-04 ($16)
Vifa BC25SC06-04 ($12)

Both had great review by Zaph and are inexpensive and small.

Yeah, distortion measurements of those two new Vifa tweeters are excellent. Along with the old D26NC55, they seem to be one of the few neo tweeters that can be crossed low without any HD issues. Maybe even 1.8 kHz LR4 is possible depending on how high SPL they can handle.

Hello Ivan, The Vifa D27 tg-45-06 is the tweeter used in my Spica TC-60 speakers. It's a sweet sounding tweeter, although a bit rolled off on top. If you don't push it to silly loud levels it is a nice, well behaved tweeter although newer tweeters may surpass it. Hope this helps you.

Ivan2006 said:
Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a suitable tweeter to go with the Peerless 6.5" Nomex Mid Woofer in a bookshelf 2-way design.
This will be my first speaker project. I can buy Vifa drivers quite cheaply so I think I will stick with a Vifa tweeter.

Also, does anyone know where the Peerless woofer and the above Vifa tweeters are made these days?

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

Hi Ivan

I've used the 830875 Nomex with several different tweeters and currently use a DX25TG-05-04 as shown in the picture. I preferred it with the SEAS 27TDFC which is a great tweeter and better than the equivalent Vifa offerings IMO. Another option is the Peerless 810921 which is a fantastic tweeter but needs a little more crossover work.... about double the price of the ones you had listed.

I'd be surprised if you can get the D27TG-45-08 as I think WES was out of them last time I enquired.

I'm a reseller of these drivers and the last Nomex I saw was made in China. All the Vifa D27TG's would have been made in Denmark and the proper D26NC would have been made there as well. I think all the later models are from China as the last XT25 I had in had Peerless on it and "Designed in Denmark".

Attachments

• rz6c.jpg
    rz6c.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,252
Thank you everyone for your input.

The D26NC does look positive after reading the favorable review on Zaph Audio so I am leaning towards that. However the truncated odd looking frame may prove a bit hard for me to route as I am only a beginner. Is there a short cut for this routing such a frame?

The D27TG-45-06 also seems good option as I like older drivers made in Denmark, however as I will also be getting the drivers from WES and if they are still out of stock like what Rabbitz said. Is the D27TG-35-06 a good one to use instead as I heard that it essentially the same version of the 45-06 but without the bulge plate? How about the D27TG-05-06 instead?

Ivan2006 said:
Thank you everyone for your input.

The D26NC does look positive after reading the favorable review on Zaph Audio so I am leaning towards that. However the truncated odd looking frame may prove a bit hard for me to route as I am only a beginner. Is there a short cut for this routing such a frame?

The D27TG-45-06 also seems good option as I like older drivers made in Denmark, however as I will also be getting the drivers from WES and if they are still out of stock like what Rabbitz said. Is the D27TG-35-06 a good one to use instead as I heard that it essentially the same version of the 45-06 but without the bulge plate? How about the D27TG-05-06 instead?

Hello again Ivan, The D26NC is indeed a nice unit as are all of the tweeters you mentioned. Not a dog in the bunch. The truncated frame of the D26NC does allow it to be installed closer to the acoustic center of the woofer which may be a benifit if you listen in the near field.

The D27TG-35-06 is essentially the same but with a different faceplate to the D27TG-45-06. I think the latter can throw the sound off-axis a tad better.... maybe?

You are better off sticking with that instead of the D27TG-05-06 as it's a much better tweeter and only A$8 more. Very easy to use when designing a crossover and a lower Fs to boot.

I've had nice results with it especially when used with the Vifa P series mid woofers.

The D26NC just needs to have a template made so the router can follow it with a jig guide. Thats the easy part as then you have to cutout for the heatsink etc which leaves only a small amount of landing and little meat for the screws.

You have to do a template for the 830875 was well but there are other ways for that.

Attachments

• d26nc1.jpg
    d26nc1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 927
Designed In Denmark

Having received the Peerless 6.5" Nomex drivers from WES today I checked the back and it reads "Designed in Denmark" as Rabbitz said. However no sign as to where it is made?

This is not right for a company the size of Peerless to falsely mislead where their products are made...

Re: Designed In Denmark

Ivan2006 said:
Having received the Peerless 6.5" Nomex drivers from WES today I checked the back and it reads "Designed in Denmark" as Rabbitz said. However no sign as to where it is made?

This is not right for a company the size of Peerless to falsely mislead where their products are made...

I'm sure the quality hasn't reduced and I think it's improved from the earlier nomex drivers that have passed through here. It doesn't matter where they are made as they are a great driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.