Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Here is an image of the idea..

Attachments

• 20160327_092512[1].jpg
    20160327_092512[1].jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 1,598
From time to time I stumbled across really nice OB / Dipole designs. Usually I just put them in my favorites, but it may be really nice if we have an exhaustive list of OB systems out there.

Post your systems too! Pics and short description.

===

Let me start with this really nice implementation by Perfect8. No spouse frowning here :D

p_force.jpg

p_point.jpg

PERFECT8 Technologies

Attachments

• _20160210_104949.JPG
    _20160210_104949.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 1,415
Hello everyone. I want to ask here about an idea that ocurred to a friend of mine while helping me figure out ways to deal with bass in open baffle speakers, room interaction and keeping bass "boxless". I have built a prototype using 2 alpha 15a drivers in a baffle, an open frame on the back and wrapping that frame around with a blanket of felt material. The idea is to create some delay between the front and back wave of the speaker but using some kind of non resonant, "breathing" material that can allow the use of smaller baffles and or lower QTS drivers and also help dissipate part of the signal that can reflect on the rear walls and eventually get to my listening position. I made a test wrapping only the right channel and did a mono test. The image went inmediately to that side and the bass increased noticeably compared to the left speaker. and no strange sounds or noises are present...opinions??

Interested to know more as well - perhaps start a new thread since this is a picture thread - Here's some reading you may find interesting though. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-carpet-baffle-experiment-16.html#post4525015

Hello everyone. I want to ask here about an idea that ocurred to a friend of mine while helping me figure out ways to deal with bass in open baffle speakers, room interaction and keeping bass "boxless". I have built a prototype using 2 alpha 15a drivers in a baffle, an open frame on the back and wrapping that frame around with a blanket of felt material. The idea is to create some delay between the front and back wave of the speaker but using some kind of non resonant, "breathing" material that can allow the use of smaller baffles and or lower QTS drivers and also help dissipate part of the signal that can reflect on the rear walls and eventually get to my listening position. I made a test wrapping only the right channel and did a mono test. The image went inmediately to that side and the bass increased noticeably compared to the left speaker. and no strange sounds or noises are present...opinions??

Not sure if it's up your alley, but Ollboll has a thread called Dipole wool baffle experiment.
It's interesting, to me, and very well reasoned.
Hopefully it's helpful for you.
Your idea, if it's completely enveloped, would seem to be something new, a near omni directional aperiodic baffle?

Julio, excelente idea! It seems like you are redirecting the back bass wave into different direction while at the same time taming some of the peaks natural to the woofer. 3/8" wool felt from American Plastics I suppose...LOL

Hi,

What you mention is an idea that goes back to the very beginning of movie films with sound. The original Theater Speakers were often open baffles with horns for the higher frequencies and absorbent material to cut down the back sound waves a bit. It's a good idea, but you're nearly ninety to a hundred years late!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Julio, excelente idea! It seems like you are redirecting the back bass wave into different direction while at the same time taming some of the peaks natural to the woofer. 3/8" wool felt from American Plastics I suppose...LOL
Well.... thanks... although it was not my idea but a friend of mine who is helping me.. He's a mechanicl engneer who happens to be an audio enthusiast as well... And yes... the wool is from American Plastics!!!!:D

Terry would know because he wuz there to see it!!! :geezer:

Love the comment! Instead of saying someone was 100 yrs. late, it would have been nice to get the 411 in why it works, and the idea behind it. Big fan of useless comments...:rolleyes:

Well.... thanks... although it was not my idea but a friend of mine who is helping me.. He's a mechanical engneer who happens to be an audio enthusiast as well... And yes... the wool is from American Plastics!!!!:D

That's where I get mine, and polyfiber bags too (very similar to polyfill).

Oido.... It looks very good.

EMS has previous "experience" with single driver family from Fertin Speakers..... Very good also.

Oido...did you use passive crossover for woofer?
Can you post a few pictures from the back?
Thanks.

Hi Felixx,
No, the woofers have active electronic crossovers and 400 watt of class D amplification per channel. When modelling the bass response you quickly realise that the AE woofers can go deep in a narrow open baffle compared to other models, but the sensitivity is low at those frequencies. You can go full active or half active. Completely passive needs a big baffle or padded down mids and highs, which sounds awful.
I'll get back with pictures of the back of the speakers

Oj! Se dær ja!

Looks really good - if you plan on getting that on display somewhere let the hifi community know. Curious of the EMS brand of speakers. They promise a lot and from what i can read they also deliver.

/Pontus

Hi Pontus,
Yes, I'll definitely pass on the info as soon as they are on display.
The EMS LB12EX field coil driver really delivers! I'm not convinced that any dynamic driver can be used completely successfully in a single driver, full range configuration, but as used in the oido speaker it can focus on what it does best :)