Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Very nice looking AcousticPlan, the Veena series.
Veena english
drivers: 15 cm broadband driver, four 25 cm bass driver
picl_Veena.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnetar said:

That's very different and ultra cool! Are those old paper tweeters as good as people say?

Hello Magnetar!

The only Saba speaker I have heard so far looked like this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Riesige-Saba-Stu...yZ113419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
with 12"/ovalis/horn supertweeter.
The ovalis doesn´t need a supertweeter, and I believe it was mainly added to compensate the treble loss of these times´ cardridges and output trannies. The sound is seemless, not a highend midrange with some treble, like some modern fullrange drivers. It is very soft, more like an old radio than like a modern speaker, but rather precise. On axis the supertweeter doesn´t match very well, I find, not only because it is too prominent. I don´t know the famous 4" tweeter that is used from 5kHz up with the 8" drivers, but since the Saba sound is so different from today´s hifi I believe it only makes sense in the context.

Regards,
Oliver

Magnetar said:

That's very different and ultra cool! Are those old paper tweeters as good as people say?
I use SABAS in my greencone OB. And yes there is something special about them. But they have also flaws so im searching further this time with modern drivers.Flaws are... not very straight FR /i suppose this is kind of sound that people like about them/ - this leads to honky sound thats its very hard to be filtered.
Tweeters beaming like hell and not as detailed as modern ones. After time i dont hear fancy sound but coloration so i quit. Pluses was - very dynamic uncompressed sound - very fast reaction to transient - very sensitive about 100db
I has two different pairs with different magnets /both alnico/ but basic character was same.
Now they are serve very well in my HT. They reproduce voice very well and uncompresed dynamic in movie is good thing.