Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4431.jpeg
IMG_4433.jpeg
IMG_4432.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you! The amazing thing is for a bodge up they work, and sound very ok. Sharpish and shouty in treble, lower mid hole I think.. and surprisingly there is some bass when I was expecting none. Very alive fast sound.

Now got to think about baffles. Was thinking of constructing a no baffle frame, but I'm now thinking a bit of baffle will help bring the lower mids and bass in. Might put some cardboard around speakers as is and see what happens..

Just sat on it some more... Stuck my head in front of both drivers... Then...

Bravely turned the 150W quad up to full whack, matching the full wack 2-3W of the Consenance, and the shout and treble sharpness has gone. The sound is strangely acceptably balanced. And still very fast and alive. Go figure.

This speaker design lark is easy peasy.. a bit of string, your two favourite chairs, bodge it up and give it large.

I just need a 300W Quad amp that goes up to 11.

#whoneedsxoversandbrains

Reactions: 2 users
The saga continues... 2 bar stools off eBay and later..

IMG_20240109_121021.jpg

IMG_20240109_121048.jpg

Very pleasing aesthetically, and still just shoe laces to attach in the interests of consistent design/effort ethics:)

Question... The alpha 15" is held on by magnetic attraction to the metal behind it. The full range also has a slight magnetic pull to the metal is against.. Is this ok?

I've googled searched, and the replies from this forum and others are very contradictory.

Thanks David

Reactions: 9 users
Haha lovely, and maybe you could even put the spheres on top?
Don’t know about demagnetization, but in the same case some time ago I added few inches of space between my motors and the steel pole/legs.
For the woofers maybe you could just reverse them? if they don’t play too high and if you like the look (I do).

(I kept some broken stools too, that look similar, being sure that one day I’ll build something of them. It’s cool to see them this way)

My take on Perry Marshall's "Bitches Brew" speakers with the segmented front baffle idea taken from Balthazarp's wonderful build. I have these hooked up right now and playing. They need to break in, but already sound pretty good. My big issue now is I need to get the active crossover stuff all done. Right now I'm just using the passive crossovers, which, according to Perry it really needs some tweaking in the digital domain for it to work correctly.

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_174532122.jpg
    PXL_20240111_174532122.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 339
  • PXL_20240111_174625797.jpg
    PXL_20240111_174625797.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 333
  • PXL_20240111_174654278.jpg
    PXL_20240111_174654278.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: 14 users
My take on Perry Marshall's "Bitches Brew" speakers with the segmented front baffle idea taken from Balthazarp's wonderful build. I have these hooked up right now and playing. They need to break in, but already sound pretty good. My big issue now is I need to get the active crossover stuff all done. Right now I'm just using the passive crossovers, which, according to Perry it really needs some tweaking in the digital domain for it to work correctly.
No wings to support bass? Do you add subwoofers then, or add massive eq?

Thanks Tiger and Mr. Ed, much appreciated. Tiger - I can't make any real comparisons yet. The H Frame speakers you see are the GR subwoofers, the NX-Treme's are my main speakers. As far as they sound SO far, the NX-Treme's are still far better, in basically every way. However, I think there is a lot more to be extracted from the BB's with DSP. The passive crossovers are only intended to get them close - DSP is intended to dial them in the rest of the way. As of right now, there is a definite lack of imaging and clarity from the BB's in comparison to the NX-Treme's. But those areas in particular are ones that I would expect to see some of the most improvement from the DSP corrections. Plus, they have less than 6 hours on them so far - the drivers still need to break in. I expect the impressions to be quite different after some real break in time and some digital tweaking.

Kjeldsen - I plan to potentially build some wings that attach to the outside of the frame if I like the speakers well enough. But yes, for now, I will be running subwoofers with them. These are meant to be speakers for a different house, not my main listening speakers - so I may want to delete the subs from the equation later on.

Reactions: 1 users
Started assembling the prototype of my first OB today

IMG_20240112_212329.jpg

On the bottom is a Redcatt OBW15 that i plan to use up to 300hz. On top are 4x 5GDSH 4-4 Full Range drivers (manufacturer unknown), these were used in TV sets in the USSR. I'm sure some members from eastern europe will recognize them.
These drivers have a very thin and fragile paper cone and a moving mass of just 3.5 grams. To me they sound very special, detailed and open - very non-fatiguing. But they only go down to about 80hz before dropping off rapidly so a "little help" was needed here :)

Reactions: 3 users
My folded open baffles. They are meant to take advantage of 360° vertical dipole cancellation for apartment living. Additionally, the baffles barely support driver output to 100 hz, which bass rolloff is steepened by highpassing my power amplifier inputs with a tiny capacitor in each channel input.
Deeper bass is supplied from an H Frame dual 12 inch driver bin.
I'm experimenting with speaker placement, no toe in, as the treated 12P drivers sound smoother to me off axis, and am trying out (again) some monopole wide dispersion tweeters, which may be turned towards me independently. There's just a single cap on each, with a -3db point of 20 kHz.
Sort of my take on two creators I always admired, Kreisel and Linkwitz.
20240103_190940.jpg

Reactions: 1 user