Ultimate OB Gallery - Page 96 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2013, 02:58 AM   #951
diyAudio Member

Pics and specs please... it's a gallery thread
Old 21st June 2013, 07:53 AM   #952
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

OK, but one last answer to DrDyna, maybe he should open a dedicated thread.

The symmetry that buys you vertical control with normal speakers is not really required with dipoles. There you already have a somewhat narrower dispersion. If you now go with mtm you could run into vertical response issues at shorter wavelengths. Also, the two m's could outrun the neo3 and so you will have to decrease the output and the spl advantage is gone with more cabling and amps and less mechanical stability.
With a LX521 or NaO Note type speaker there is no "listening down" issue.

If you really want to go wmtmw then it is better to go 8-4-t-4-8" in a simple baffle (maybe hourglass shaped) instead of the H-frame. But the neo will most likely be again the bottleneck. If not in SPL then in size (too narrow vertical response resulting in sharp interference nulls at cross over F).

Last edited by 6.283; 21st June 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 21st June 2013, 08:10 AM   #953
diyAudio Member

I have tried both WMTM and WMMT configurations, and found that that latter measured and sounded better.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:48 PM   #954
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.283 View Post
OK, but one last answer to DrDyna, maybe he should open a dedicated thread.

The symmetry that buys you vertical control with normal speakers is not really required with dipoles. There you already have a somewhat narrower dispersion. If you now go with mtm you could run into vertical response issues at shorter wavelengths. Also, the two m's could outrun the neo3 and so you will have to decrease the output and the spl advantage is gone with more cabling and amps and less mechanical stability.
With a LX521 or NaO Note type speaker there is no "listening down" issue.

If you really want to go wmtmw then it is better to go 8-4-t-4-8" in a simple baffle (maybe hourglass shaped) instead of the H-frame. But the neo will most likely be again the bottleneck. If not in SPL then in size (too narrow vertical response resulting in sharp interference nulls at cross over F).
Thanks 2Pi. The beauty of active open baffle I guess is how simple (read: easy to make new ones) the baffle can be, so I might go through quite a few iterations before I'm happy. I understand what you guys are saying about the design that's similar to James Trexx's Gate and I could run into issues, but I'd like to at least try it and measure it to see what I get. If the Neo3 ends up running out of gas or has dispersion issues, it would be fairly trivial to swap, or perhaps even add another one?

Gainphile, sorry about mudding up the thread with all this silly talking! If it's any consolation, your 8 channel Class D build is what really inspired me to think I could afford to go fully active and build a massive open baffle in the first place

Ok, I'll stop, my next posts in here will be pictures and measurements of whatever I end up building. Cheers fellas, and thanks for the info
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:40 PM   #955
diyAudio Member

Alpha 15A from Eminence, this time with Sonido SFR200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (236.6 KB, 1260 views)

Last edited by Andrej Maximov; 22nd June 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:45 PM   #956
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

DrDyna, I am using MTM with my AINO 4-way dipoles. High-Ms are xo'd now 550-3100 and when playing sine above 2kHz I can hear comb filtering, but it is not noticable with music. My T is Fountek NeoCD3.5H which is also very narrow vertically. But, I've been thinking about to set it to WMT just for testing how it sounds. It is easy with minidsp.

Click the image to open in full size.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 22nd June 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:13 PM   #957
diyAudio Member

Here are a few pics of my most recent OB speakers incarnation:

Design goal was to make them fit as well as possible into a normal domestic living room (i.e. spouse had to approve finished look). And to be able to live without additional acoustic room treatments. Angling in design makes them workable close to the front wall.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
W-baffle with 2x Acoustic Elegance DP10s, Seas W22 paper excel mid and SS illuminator tweeters. Each woofer driven by 200W, with active crossover to mid/top and another 200W amplification. Passive filtering between mid and tweeters.

More details, reflections and some measurements in the separate thread - My open baffle project on ortho acoustic design ideas.

/Mats
Old 24th June 2013, 03:21 PM   #958
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

The link to my AINOgradient project doesn,t work. A new try here Aino gradient - a collaborative speaker project

Directivity measured from 1,5m distance, 9ms IR window
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 24th June 2013, 04:28 PM   #959
diyAudio Member

Nicely done sir......
Old 25th June 2013, 12:16 AM   #960
diyAudio Member

Fantastic way to cover the speakers Mats. You Swedes are so good at that! Nice job.

Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!