Ultimate OB Gallery - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2013, 12:58 AM   #941
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Daudio Dipole, website is announced to go online this month: Webbhotell, nu med Cloud Drive. - Från One.com
That's very nice Keyser. And the website is very slick too !
Old 20th June 2013, 03:42 PM   #942
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm planning an ob build in the next couple of weeks, I figure with as many folks in this thread that use and build them, this might be a good spot to drop a couple of questions.

First, I've seen a couple of setups, like James Trexx's where woofers are used for mid bass duty that are relatively low Q. Would it be a bad idea to design an H Frame (very tall and flanking midrange/tweeter panel in the middle of it) but employ woofers for 60hz to around 300 hz that are pretty low Q? I ask because I've got some Peerless 831727 (4 of em) sitting around and if I could finally employ them for something interesting, that'd be cool.

I plan on using Neo3 PDRW for the tweeter. I haven't decided on a midrange unit. The plan in my head is WMTMW. MiniDSPs will be used for ease of filter development, at least to start or perhaps permanently.

Midrange suggestions are appreciated, as well as any input on using the 831727 as 60-300ish drivers in a large H Frame.
Old 20th June 2013, 04:10 PM   #943
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
I'm planning an ob build in the next couple of weeks, I figure with as many folks in this thread that use and build them, this might be a good spot to drop a couple of questions.

First, I've seen a couple of setups, like James Trexx's where woofers are used for mid bass duty that are relatively low Q. Would it be a bad idea to design an H Frame (very tall and flanking midrange/tweeter panel in the middle of it) but employ woofers for 60hz to around 300 hz that are pretty low Q? I ask because I've got some Peerless 831727 (4 of em) sitting around and if I could finally employ them for something interesting, that'd be cool.

I plan on using Neo3 PDRW for the tweeter. I haven't decided on a midrange unit. The plan in my head is WMTMW. MiniDSPs will be used for ease of filter development, at least to start or perhaps permanently.

Midrange suggestions are appreciated, as well as any input on using the 831727 as 60-300ish drivers in a large H Frame.
They will work excellent for that range!
Old 20th June 2013, 04:17 PM   #944
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasz View Post
They will work excellent for that range!
Awesome, thanks!

I've done some preliminary experimentation and built a small H-frame just to toss them in for a few minutes, but I didn't want to get too far into it before discovering that there was some pitfall that I hadn't considered.

What about Dayton RS-150 for midrange drivers?

Should there be anything special to look for when shopping for OB drivers, or am I basically using the same criteria that I'd normally use (linearity, low distortion)

Edit: or would the RS-100 be a better choice?
Old 20th June 2013, 05:23 PM   #945
diyAudio Member

Just for fun, this is the design I'm thinking of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sketch 1.jpg (34.9 KB, 982 views)
Old 20th June 2013, 05:50 PM   #946
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The plan in my head is WMTMW
Why do you want a WMTMW? I don't see any acoustic advantage in a dipole woofer H-frame in mid air, but real structural problems if you want the baffle to narrow around the Neo3 - which you should. I would even question a necessity for the upper midrange driver. There are reasons why most newer dipoles end with the tweeter on top.

Rudolf
Old 20th June 2013, 05:57 PM   #947
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Why do you want a WMTMW? I don't see any acoustic advantage in a dipole woofer H-frame in mid air, but real structural problems if you want the baffle to narrow around the Neo3 - which you should. I would even question a necessity for the upper midrange driver. There are reasons why most newer dipoles end with the tweeter on top.

Rudolf
Well, what I don't have drawn in the rendering is the upper frame and lower connected with 5/8ths threaded rod. It won't be supported at all by the mtm center baffle.

As far as sonic advantages, I'm really just borrowing from two designs that I've seen, James Trexx's and the aristoteles. Its a grand expirement. What I'm looking for in having the upper mid bass h frame is really just "sonic size" and the visual impact. Wood is cheap and I've got the drivers, so unless there's some kind of "disadvantage" that I haven't considered or don't know about..I'm going at this with all guns blazing, lol.
Old 20th June 2013, 06:18 PM   #948
diyAudio Member

Quick well done to Superlian..!

Great design flexibility choices and execution.

The comments regarding absorbers is a wise one... I made some simple frames full of fiberglass roof insulation and covered them with fabric socks.. With the right sock material they would disappear in your room. Mine where only 80 mm deep and made a huge difference to the mid and top end of my OB's... One behind and one beside each speaker.

Dean
Old 20th June 2013, 06:48 PM   #949
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As far as sonic advantages, I'm really just borrowing from two designs that I've seen, James Trexx's and the aristoteles.
Thanks, that is always an honor if somedody takes over bits of a design. The curved panel works pretty well for the midrange. But as we "speak" it is about to change although I will probably keep some curves. Version 0.61 is in the works...going 4 way. And as Rudolf pointed out, ending with the tweeter on top.
If you want sonic size, I would add two monopoles to shake the house.
Old 20th June 2013, 07:13 PM   #950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.283 View Post
Thanks, that is always an honor if somedody takes over bits of a design. The curved panel works pretty well for the midrange. But as we "speak" it is about to change although I will probably keep some curves. Version 0.61 is in the works...going 4 way. And as Rudolf pointed out, ending with the tweeter on top.
If you want sonic size, I would add two monopoles to shake the house.
To be fair, it was really your Aristoteles that started me in this direction and James' The Gate that got me thinking that I could use some of these old low Q woofers for midbass duty. I'd love to get some of the scan-speak midrange units, but they're mad expensive.

In making the change over to open baffle and dipole, I'd really like to just run the two main speakers from 60hz on up. I've got decent subs that'll cover everything lower than that. There's plenty of house shaking even with what I have now.

As far as tweeter on top (forgoing the second set of MW, I'm guessing is the suggestion) is there a sonic advantage, or is the idea that it's wasteful? By sonic size, really what I mean is just lighting the whole wall up with sound, not necessarily shaking the house. I've always had trouble with sonic size, where it always really feels like you're "listening down", so I was going for symmetry and lots of baffle area and having that top H frame being pretty much against the ceiling.

Have you tried this and it sounded terrible or didn't measure right?

Hide this!Advertise here!