Ultimate OB Gallery - Page 88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 12:39 PM   #871
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
It seems the objective is to push uniformity to higher frequency.
Feels like a familiar notion
Old 18th October 2012, 06:36 PM   #872
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Wait till you see the NaO Note II.

It has the same upper mid but uses a single Scanspeak Discovery 22W/8534G for the lower mid with a single, front firing tweeter. (Yes, above the uppermid cut off there doesn't seem to be any need for a rear tweeter, though that may change.)
How long John? Got a thread discussing this project?
Old 18th October 2012, 06:38 PM   #873
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
What seems to be new dipoles from SL as posted in HTGuide. I'm very keen to read more details.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for posting !

I'm also looking forward for more details.

I find it interesting that he continued the journey with dipoles instead of omnis.

- Elias
Old 18th October 2012, 07:12 PM   #874
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post

I find it interesting that he continued the journey with dipoles instead of omnis.

- Elias
+1!

Pluto page quote from SL:

"When very deep bass is required then PLUTO only hints at its presence, but cannot deliver the rumble.

The male and female voice range, though, whether single or in mass, is handled so well that I sometimes wonder what the higher cost of the ORION is buying me.

I do not sense a lack of very high frequency extension nor of volume capability. Imaging of PLUTO is very precise, the speakers disappear, the sound stage is tall and wide, but with less depth than the ORION. The performers appear closer. Overall, PLUTO lacks at times the ease, authority and refined clarity of sound that ORION can deliver on good program material."

So a little less depth than the ORION which is largely a function of lower freq. response.

and then:

"But if you add the recently designed subwoofers, then the 3-way PLUTO+ becomes truly an alternative to the ORION."

..and a little less refinement overall.

-He should have tried the ORION's dipole bass with a midrange optimized PLUTO mid, and perhaps an improved design for the treble..

Last edited by ScottG; 18th October 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 18th October 2012, 07:46 PM   #875
diyAudio Member

See comment below:

I learned a lot in these ten years, not just about loud speakers but about the perceptual transformation of a source picked up by microphones in a recording venue and then presented to a listener's ears and brain in a living room. The recording / mixing engineer often seems two lack adequate monitors, otherwise I do not understand the intend of the phantom scene, wooden resulted from his efforts. So I have been Experimenting on and off for some time now on a monitor, essentially on a form -follows-function evolution of the Orion without concern for WAF. I call it LX521, Because it is something like my 21st speaker design as far as I can remember, a machine for wooden an essential element came together on 5/21 of this year. I will show the monitor at the Burning Amp Festival, hoping that the Necessary parts for DIY will become available soon there after.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:29 PM   #876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC View Post
How long John? Got a thread discussing this project?
Maybe this winter (I don't do much audio in the summer.) No thread yet, but I've been working on it on and off for about a year and a half but only part time. The baffle is similar to the note but the speaker will look like the NaO II RS with grills on. Sorry, I'm old school. I like speakers with grills. I don't like looking at the drivers. The speaker is all active, digital, using the miniDSP 2x8. There will not be a hybrid or active analog version.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:11 PM   #877
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd prefer the new SL offering with a glass/lexan top baffle.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:07 PM   #878
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Maybe this winter (I don't do much audio in the summer.) No thread yet, but I've been working on it on and off for about a year and a half but only part time. The baffle is similar to the note but the speaker will look like the NaO II RS with grills on. Sorry, I'm old school. I like speakers with grills. I don't like looking at the drivers. The speaker is all active, digital, using the miniDSP 2x8. There will not be a hybrid or active analog version.
Thanks John. Sounds good, especially all digital on the minidsp.

That new SL top panel in black is really ugly:d Perhaps grills are in order to hide those drivers.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:44 AM   #879
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of the prototype NaO Note II RS without grills. Withthe grills in place it will look like the NaO II RS (at the right in black in the background), but will be 47" tall as opposed to the 51" tall NaO II RS.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #880
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What's the tweeter John?

Hide this!Advertise here!