Ultimate OB Gallery - Page 80 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 01:07 AM   #791
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
A compression driver is what I have been thinking. I left room for a horn. I only need to cover the highest frequencies, but would like to buy a driver that could be repurposed in the future. I have also considered the horn loaded ribbon tweeter that CSS sells. Time wll tell.
Old 14th January 2012, 07:03 AM   #792
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Interesting.
photoshoot OB MK1, at least they sound good

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Helmuth; 14th January 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:13 PM   #793
miksin is offline miksin  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksin View Post
Some sundae work shopping- quick & dirty proto on the making.
Second woofer is faced downwards in the base of the baffle, not yet mounted on the pic.
Fourth driver in the baffle is -to say- back-firing.

4th order line level analogue@80hz for full ranges. Woofers double amped, monopole+dipole combo with some corrections, digital line level XO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THWO View Post
Looks promising, please show us some more pics!

Regards
Till
Thank you, but rather not: the material is of highly explicit nature.

Skipped recently highpass from full ranges, power amp driven directly from preamps outputs. Another pair of pre outs is still feeding active XO to subs and Audax PR130 tweeters. ( rear. )
It's just amazing how much one single box can mess up things- that active XO, no matter how suppposedly well executed it is.
Looks to me like those three pairs of good quality full range units has a sufficient power handling, no more need to high pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-18 19.19.40.jpg (285.3 KB, 1935 views)

Last edited by miksin; 29th January 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:23 PM   #794
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Finished my Notes a couple of days ago. They use the Acoustic Elegance IB15 in H-baffles instead of the originals XLS U-baffles. After some tinkering with the MiniDSP I got the basses tuned in. Needless to say, they sound awesome! I'm very happy how they turned out. Thanks JohnK for a fantastic design!

The top baffle.

And here's the complete left channel including the poweramp doubling as a base.

Old 29th January 2012, 09:45 PM   #795
diyAudio Member

Good Luck, Jonasz !

So now all our IB15s are on class duty.

/Erling
Old 30th January 2012, 06:09 PM   #796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksin View Post
Skipped recently highpass from full ranges, power amp driven directly from preamps outputs. Another pair of pre outs is still feeding active XO to subs and Audax PR130 tweeters. ( rear. )
Oh my. Running two pairs of bizarre widebands with fs=26 hz, very low qt>0.3 and very high zmax 0.7k in parallel with a more normal third pair of high q, higher fs=45 hz seems to make more good to power handling and distortion as does any line level XO to the same first two pairs of drivers.
Of course, there's no substitute for paper area, but there must be also something else going on now.
I'm pretty much baffeled. Thank you, Thorsten, and thank you, a couple of local fellas, for suggesting this experiment.

Last edited by miksin; 30th January 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 30th January 2012, 06:40 PM   #797
diyAudio Member

Back then, I ran in the issues with the drivers of first two pairs, as some digital recordings including probably unwanted subsonics- as also did badly set up analog rig, or seriously warped records, of course - made the drivers to exceed their linear excursion limit in most disturbing way, likely to cause serious damage to their pretty unexceptional suspension in days, I believe. I did not tried that.
Instead I tried pretty much everything else, and only not running them full range, with active xo cured that problem compeletely enough. But now, in parallel with third pair of dissimilar drivers: I'm tried my utmost and the bastards are virtually not moving at all, no matter what I play or how loud as long as I do not cut out that third pair- when I do, that compeletely uncontrolled cone flapping starts immediately.

Last edited by miksin; 30th January 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:18 AM   #798
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
Good Luck, Jonasz !

So now all our IB15s are on class duty.

/Erling
Thanks!

The IB15 surely are fantastic drivers. Interestingly I just picked up two more used pairs this weekend! Don't really know what to do with them though, maybe try a w-baffle or something similar?
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:33 AM   #799
diyAudio Member

Default My Bastanis

HI all,

Just found this thread, thought might as well post my pair here. They are Bastanis Mandala kit with twin 12" widebanders , airforce dipole tweeter and 18" h-frame bass bin. 100db/1w efficiency

The twin 12" widebanders would be upgraded to the new Chrystal versions in a week or so, plus new 18" woofers.

Baffles and cabinets are built more or less to spec size using 1" baltic birchply, but added my artistic stuff on it. I thought they look good for baroque music :P

BTW, I am located in Hong Kong.

Last edited by welborne; 3rd February 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:12 PM   #800
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Amazing!!

Hide this!Advertise here!