Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

gainphile said:
Darrel & Alf .. thanks heaps.

... now to start saving :cool: ... how do you find the midrange of the Hawthorne's ?
Mate the midrange is not one of those things you have to search for to find - it is there in front of you ... sweet, detailed and inviting - very smooth ... as well, the bass is very good indeed, and the treble brilliant (as with all coax speakers this needs the longest burn in time - IMO anyway - but it's great to start with and the burnin experience is a pleasure) - bass, mid and treble are very well integrated to produce a single point smooth sound .. these drivers I am very happy with ... very happy indeed ... probably a convert for life I'd say.
:cool:
ALF

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alf,
I live in Melbourne, I am curious about the sound of the Hawthorn speakers. I heard so much about them.
If it is not too much of an intrusion would it be possible to listen to your speakers?You can contact me privately via my email address shown on this private profile.
Thanks.

Originally posted by ttan98
Hi Alf,

I live in Melbourne, I am curious about the sound of the Hawthorn speakers. I heard so much about them.

If it is not too much of an intrusion would it be possible to listen to your speakers?

You can contact me privately via my email address shown on this private profile.

Thanks.
Yeh mate, I'll send you an email ... we won't be able to catch up for a couple weeks because I am absolutely flat out ... but I'll make it as soon as possible.
Cheers
ALF

Hi Kensai:
The top MTM section is actually the GR research OB5/7 using the GR Research M130/16 drivers crossed to the Neo3PDR at about 2000 hz. The M130s are high passed at 200 hz. The bass driver is Darrel's (Hawthorne Audio) excellent 15" Augie, it is driver separately by a 100 watt (Infinity) sub amp, low pass at 200hz.

Best,
Ed

Kensai said:
The mids look like they have metal phase plugs . . . pretty sweet. And I love the minimalist baffle. I much prefer the sound field thrown by narrow OBs. Is the Infinity a repurposed car amp? I love repurposed gear.
Kensai

No, not car sound equipment, actually it is the bass amp for the Infinity OVTR-1, I picked them up from ApexJr., here: Infinity OVTR 1 Subwoofer Amp
The phase plugs are actually dust caps, these are standard drivers offered on the GR Research website.
The narrow baffle was one reason I decided to build this speaker, although in my small room I may have been better off with something other than an MTM. These do so very good however, even in my small space.

Ed

This one is an attempt to design orion-like speakers but with Digital XO.

http://www.doddsy.net/steve6_014.htm

blackbob5.jpg

The XO setting process is here: http://www.doddsy.net/steve6_015.htm

otto88,

With a narrower baffle, the obvious trade off is a likely much higher rolloff point, but since we're working with helper woofer below, you can afford a higher crossover point (to a degree; I don't like going much above 200Hz myself, and for the most part, the plate amp solution I've been favoring lately doesn't lend itself to even that high, so you'd have to go passive, or at least more expensively digital on the crossover). In exchange you get the soundfield I was mentioning. This happens because the soundwave is propigating into space with less interaction with the baffle. Another trade off here is that its alot easier to get into the speaker's null area, so that causes a narrower sweetspot

A wide baffle, while sounding more meaty due to lowering the rolloff frequency and the wave launch caused by the greater baffle area, will have a shallower soundfield due to the increased baffle interaction and greater delay between front and back waves. Wider baffle should come with a wider sweetspot which allows greater placement options, though they probably still need to be pulled a certain distance from the wall to avoid any cavity resonances or bad first reflections.

Really just going to be a taste issue, though. I prefer the sound of narrow baffles, at least for the FR portion, though I don't turn my nose up at much of anything in OB (though I'm not a fan of "deep" U-baffles, and by deep, meaning like the 16"-18" ones I've heard, much preferring the sound of flat baffles).

Kensai

Gainphile -
I listened to these ( post #73) and your Plutos on You Tube last night. Quite frankly I liked these better. Much fuller. Could have been choice of music. Your thoughts?
Bluto

P.S. Thanks for all latest additions, hadn't been around in awhile. Question... noticed a few guys using lower QTS drivers in OB with fairly low FS. I particularly like the aesthetics of the HiVi's . Can a reasonable bass output be expected with these drivers or would a Sub be required? I'm guessing that HiVi'S 29 stated FS in OB 8" would likely end up near 60?