Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

The back below the carlson resonator and the bottom of the cabinet are open. That is not so small but smaller than only a baffle of course. I do not use the grill cloth anymore, it sounds better without.
I've been intending to try a Karlsson resonator, but have no clue on tuning them with Thiele Small parameters. Just treat them almost like a u Frame rig?

I've been intending to try a Karlsson resonator, but have no clue on tuning them with Thiele Small parameters. Just treat them almost like a u Frame rig?

I use the karlsson resonator for another purpose; it diffuses standing waves in the outlet. The karlsson cabinet is more of a bass reflex cabinet with an exponential opening.

Last edited:
Giving Pm6a's a try with a -3db HP is all.

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 2,308
Hi.I like open baffle sound.No boxy sound is very good to my ears.I searched but could not find a slim open baffle speaker(for WAF i need a slim speaker.It can have depth but width should not exceed 20cm.I do not want to put 10speakers per side.I do not have a budget for it)Maybe laterally positioned Eminence speakers? Any ideas?And the speakers should not seem.

Last edited:
^we have several threads of slim dipoles, like these. Actually the task is not easy at all and it needs lots of experimenting. I recommend that should use dsp-based crossover and multiple amplifiers. It can be made user-friendly with modern electronics that go to stand-by state automatically or have very low power consumption like class D amps.

Open baffle / dipole line array prototype
Open baffle woofer line array concept.

Hi.I like open baffle sound.No boxy sound is very good to my ears.I searched but could not find a slim open baffle speaker(for WAF i need a slim speaker.It can have depth but width should not exceed 20cm.I do not want to put 10speakers per side.I do not have a budget for it)Maybe laterally positioned Eminence speakers? Any ideas?And the speakers should not seem.

Maybe like this "WAFY" speaker, 40 cm wide, 75 cm high, 25 cm deep...

Eminence Neo 15 inch +visaton 130 mm and a low distorsion home built treble planar.

Sensitivity is around 90 dB and this speaker is the only one that I'm happy with after testing many speakers, through almost 35 years, factory made and Diy.

I can also provide the very simple but optimum 6dB cross over schematics.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 1,650
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,614
Hi.Thank you for your suggestions.I am sure these speakers are great sounding.Sorry i showed them to both wife and daughter and sorry they did not like them.
Width should not exceed 25cm.Depth no problem.Height should not exceed 120cm.(these are the criterias)
It is better the drivers is not seemed and speaker to be white coloured high gloss.

Then, do not do real open baffles.
Unless you are happy having small tiny sound and no bass.

Here's another option combining small and OB sound.

The Nola Brio Trio.
Two small enclosures, two drivers per side, one is vented, the other is OB.
They will need one or two subs that you can hide somewhere in the room, under a table, under the couch, etc...

There's a thread to DIY them here:
Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

Just paint them white instead of black.

Brio-sm.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.26.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.26.27 AM.png
    700.7 KB · Views: 2,733
I have built a pair of N-Frames, 2 12" drivers per side.
They are symmetrical (left and right are mirrored), easy to build.
On top I have JBL 308 monitors (no time or skills to do a complete speaker.).
Only 25cm wide is quite small, but you could make them smaller.
The photo is from the rear side btw.

Attachments

• top.PNG
    top.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_20170818_160707.jpg
    IMG_20170818_160707.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1,868