Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Here are some of the woofers I have simulated in my intended application (LR3 lowpass below 200hz). Some of them needed some impedance linearization. Still, the superiority of the 18W500 is quite obvious.

Attachments

• pyr_beta4_woofer_comparison.png
    pyr_beta4_woofer_comparison.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,939
Last edited:
The most amazing is to (re)discover all the "colours" of the mid-bass. The Alphas now seem to have a "one note bass" as someone has pointed before.

Yes, a high QMS bass driver will give awesome midbass. And Midbass is where OB shine already.

Personally, I have never liked the Alphas. They are cheap and go low, but do nothing "best".
If you want the best LF OB driver, get the Dipole15/Dipole18 or OB15/OB18 from Acoustic Elegance. If you cannot afford them, use closed subs or several H frames of cheap 18" woofers. But with their poor Xmax the Alpha15A cannot really do much.

The first open baffle speakers for me. Front panel: 80x40cm (31" x 16").
Drivers: Celestion TF1225CX, Eminence Delta 15LFA.
Xo is a hybrid: between woofer and coaxial done with minidsp 2x4HD, coaxial crossed to compression driver passively. The passive xo is actually designed by German magazine Klang&Ton, K+T Celeste was their design.
Xo frequencies, woofer to coax: 250Hz, coax to CD: 1900Hz.

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 4,040
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 2,600
I use as an open baffle design a Faital 15PRO400 as a low to mid woofer then crossing over to a Satori MW16P-8 midwoofer for the mid range and then finally to a SB29RDC tweeter.
The Faital of each channel works in with a very large open baffle subwoofer, a combination of 8 x 10 inch Peerless 830668 drivers to fill out the very low bass.
The Faital 15Pro400 is a very good driver but I would only use it in the very lower midrange as its distortion profile is not as good as that of higher quality drivers generally used for the midrange. As it was, I had to crank it down with a 24 ohm series resistor to match the sensitivity of the Satori MW16P-8. Maybe not the best choice in matching driver sensitivity but hey, distortion is very low and the amplifier loading is minimal. This is all part of my home theatre.

C.M

Last edited: