Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

I'm not disputing how it sounds, just wouldn't be a first pick by looking at the specs alone.

I've never been able to stay off the Celestion 1525 series. They're @0.5Qts, usually 96-98db/watt.
I'm currently using my last pair in horn loaded Onkens, and loved them on open baffle, too.
Plenty of slam with a 6 watt 300B amp, and is great on vocals.
A sub crossed at 40 hertz fills in the lowest octave nicely with these.
Absolutely great with horns, as you can take advantage of beaming to blend with laterally dispersion controlled horns.
There's something magical in one high efficiency, low excursion driver handling things flatly to over 2000 hertz.
I've dallied with electrostatics, BG Neo 10/8/3PDR combos, MarkAudio 12P and 12PW, an army of tweeter combinations, Scanspeak Revelators, but always returned to these Celestions, because they're better with a sub, but don't strictly require one, and they get male and female vocals correct.
They even do harpsichord well.
In a box, or on a panel.
Usually they're on a discount, somewhere, too.

Ny latest build. Army style.

470132d1512579011-bergfinns-tukle-hja-rne-20171206_174213.jpg

470114d1512567188-bergfinns-tukle-hja-rne-20171206_142152.jpg

470115d1512567210-bergfinns-tukle-hja-rne-20171206_142920.jpg

@head1962

It's slot loaded open baffle, SLOB.
With 6×12" GPA 414 alnico

I didnt build these.
Very goodsounding bass from 30-200 hz.

I build the 3-way satelites my self.

Ugly green, didnt look so when l was in the paint store. I do it again with other color later when the upgrades are done.

it looks like the green Bruel & Kjoer used for there audio measuring equipment!

sooo I would like to hear more on the low Q high Q thang.

I have an OB planned in future as a test bed for a ribbon design. The ribbon is 88 db sens and is used down to 200 hz. I would like to stay with one woofer (ribbon mounted above woofer NOT to side) and keep the overall baffle no more than about 35-38 inches tall)

So heres my question,I would like to not have to pad the ribbon down and my calcs say I need approximately 10-12 db more sens on woofer to get the correct FR down to about 40hz. That means a 98-100db woofer.

From what I see there are no 98-100 db woofers with a high Q. The Eminance Alpha 15 A is a high Q but its about 3 db shy of desired sens.

So the question is this. are the high Q woofers really OK in OB setup to get to 40 hz or is the high Q going to roll the lows off to quickly?

So the question is this. are the high Q woofers really OK in OB setup to get to 40 hz or is the high Q going to roll the lows off to quickly?

See this: Open Baffle woofer what is important?

You will not reach a conclusion, I warn you.

And see the projects of Troels Gravesen with low Q woofers here: DIY Loudspeaker Projects Troels Gravesen

After about 6 years using the Alpha-15A in my narrow baffle OB project (with Fostex Fe206En FR), with only a 1st order low pass (800 Hz) for the woofer, I decided to try a low Q high sensitivity woofer (Faital 15PR400). Still waiting for it because it is sold out here in Europe.

In my small room and with a 300b SET amp (6 W), the Alphas, although pleasant, are a bit shy (I'm not bass dependent).