Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Intersting VPL!

Hi All,

This link : ImageShack® - Register

show's some interesting open baffle, the side shots of the big grey cabinets, the Acrylic cabinets and the side shot of the 10 inch Volt midrange show
"Variable Path Length Cancellation" ( VPL !).
The two way Encore and the Line Array's are sealed.

More to follow but about 20 pics so far.
All are all fully active, no passive crossovers at all, no domes or ribbons, only Manger or full range BMR plus olw mid / and or bass.

Line array, two way, three way, sealed box or open baffle.
Acrylic, Alloy, Ply Wood, GRP and Corian / Velstone cabinet material.
Even a pair of one off solid wood horns for the Manger!

It was a blast, hope you enjoy the pics and get some ideas to experiment.

With such high quality PC software (JRiver and JPlay), and low cost but high quality DSP hardware / electronics now is the best time ever to design and build your own speakers.
Also great speaker / room measuremnt software, mics and pre amps / sound cards are all very affordable now.
Great sounding power amps ( Hypex Ncore) that are small and efficient so they can be built into / onto the back of cabinets easily.

Hope this helps inspire!
Cheers
Derek.

Attachments

• 005 (Copy).JPG
    005 (Copy).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,406
  • Overkill Audio Encore with grill 001.jpg
    Overkill Audio Encore with grill 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,382
  • Overkill construction- multi layer ply 001.jpg
    Overkill construction- multi layer ply 001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,362
Master, you summond me? :djinn:
If wavelength are short compared to the room dimensions, a dipole will radiate in its dipole-8 pattern - regardless of the side walls. Reflections off these walls will be as good or bad as with any other loudspeaker.
If wavelength are in the same order as the room dimensions or even larger, the "radiation pattern" will be dictated by the room (room modes), as will be the case with any other loudspeaker.
So what seems to be an issue to you exactly? How would you see off-axis reflections (?) more harmful than others?

Rudolf

My issue is actually the reverse of what youre thinking.

I have built a flat dipole Neo3pdr and RS180. I'd like to add structural rigidity to the flat panel (2 x 3/4 mdf glued together) by adding a brace to the back which would interfere with dispersion to the side walls. Its a sort of L- shaped baffle as seen from above.

Hi All,

This link : ImageShack® - Register

show's some interesting open baffle, the side shots of the big grey cabinets, the Acrylic cabinets and the side shot of the 10 inch Volt midrange show
"Variable Path Length Cancellation" ( VPL !).
The two way Encore and the Line Array's are sealed.

More to follow but about 20 pics so far.
All are all fully active, no passive crossovers at all, no domes or ribbons, only Manger or full range BMR plus olw mid / and or bass.

Line array, two way, three way, sealed box or open baffle.
Acrylic, Alloy, Ply Wood, GRP and Corian / Velstone cabinet material.
Even a pair of one off solid wood horns for the Manger!

It was a blast, hope you enjoy the pics and get some ideas to experiment.

With such high quality PC software (JRiver and JPlay), and low cost but high quality DSP hardware / electronics now is the best time ever to design and build your own speakers.
Also great speaker / room measuremnt software, mics and pre amps / sound cards are all very affordable now.
Great sounding power amps ( Hypex Ncore) that are small and efficient so they can be built into / onto the back of cabinets easily.

Hope this helps inspire!
Cheers
Derek.

Hi Derek

Is the link correct? It leads me into my own account at ImageShack.

Best regards

Gisle

Sorry Derek,

I am no expert on ImageShack. I got registered there after I saw your link, i.e. to see your pictures :)

But I guess there are others here at the forum with knowledge, anybody? ;-)

Btw: some VERY impressive speakers you have designed. Looking forward to hear up-dates from your last dipole (the green-one): is it finalized?

Br

Gisle

I have made a modular system. The clear acrylic wings are possible to change to wider versions. It is also possible to use the OB without wings. The baffle alone is. +/- 55 cm wide. With the wings on the pictures it is 75 cm in total.

It is also a internal baffle inside the baffle. With this concept is it possible to change fullrangedrivers. I have made a lot of different baffles for Lowther, Seas, Fostex all of them with or without tweeter. I have also extra baffles without cutout in case i find a very special driver :)

The OB is made of 30 mm MDF and spraypainted glossy white.

zChTC60.jpg

FdQ5vd6.jpg

Hj8kinS.jpg

h4r7CQt.jpg

1jw52g5.jpg

fxIFNyl.jpg

I have made a modular system. The clear acrylic wings are possible to change to wider versions. It is also possible to use the OB without wings. The baffle alone is. +/- 55 cm wide. With the wings on the pictures it is 75 cm in total.

It is also a internal baffle inside the baffle. With this concept is it possible to change fullrangedrivers. I have made a lot of different baffles for Lowther, Seas, Fostex all of them with or without tweeter. I have also extra baffles without cutout in case i find a very special driver :)

The OB is made of 30 mm MDF and spraypainted glossy white.

zChTC60.jpg

FdQ5vd6.jpg

Hj8kinS.jpg

h4r7CQt.jpg

1jw52g5.jpg

fxIFNyl.jpg

Those is sexy :drool:

I'm planning an ob build in the next couple of weeks, I figure with as many folks in this thread that use and build them, this might be a good spot to drop a couple of questions.

First, I've seen a couple of setups, like James Trexx's where woofers are used for mid bass duty that are relatively low Q. Would it be a bad idea to design an H Frame (very tall and flanking midrange/tweeter panel in the middle of it) but employ woofers for 60hz to around 300 hz that are pretty low Q? I ask because I've got some Peerless 831727 (4 of em) sitting around and if I could finally employ them for something interesting, that'd be cool.

I plan on using Neo3 PDRW for the tweeter. I haven't decided on a midrange unit. The plan in my head is WMTMW. MiniDSPs will be used for ease of filter development, at least to start or perhaps permanently.

Midrange suggestions are appreciated, as well as any input on using the 831727 as 60-300ish drivers in a large H Frame.

I'm planning an ob build in the next couple of weeks, I figure with as many folks in this thread that use and build them, this might be a good spot to drop a couple of questions.

First, I've seen a couple of setups, like James Trexx's where woofers are used for mid bass duty that are relatively low Q. Would it be a bad idea to design an H Frame (very tall and flanking midrange/tweeter panel in the middle of it) but employ woofers for 60hz to around 300 hz that are pretty low Q? I ask because I've got some Peerless 831727 (4 of em) sitting around and if I could finally employ them for something interesting, that'd be cool.

I plan on using Neo3 PDRW for the tweeter. I haven't decided on a midrange unit. The plan in my head is WMTMW. MiniDSPs will be used for ease of filter development, at least to start or perhaps permanently.

Midrange suggestions are appreciated, as well as any input on using the 831727 as 60-300ish drivers in a large H Frame.

They will work excellent for that range!