Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

The baffle is similar to the note but the speaker will look like the NaO II RS with grills on. Sorry, I'm old school. I like speakers with grills. I don't like looking at the drivers.

It wonders me though, using grills and still miss the opportunity to use PA drivers which mainly are not designed for looks but for other interesting technical properties. Why did you choose to use 'hifi' drivers if you are going to cover them up unvisible ? As in 'hifi' drivers considerable design effort has been put to outlook.

Last edited:
An awesome pic

111012-Linkwitz-600.jpg

Is it possible for a 2 way OB to have extension to 80hz with 7 or 8" midbass drivers?

Maybe 2- 7" with one of the two sealed and crossed passively with a single inductor so it can be run with two amp channels actively?

Or option two, with a wide/tall baffle to extend the range of a 7" or 8" driver?

Last edited:
Here is my new OB project, inspired by StigErik.
Slot Loaded OB with 4x 15" sub from 20-400 hz, 6x 8" Goldwood from 400-1000 hz and 6x NEO8s from 1000 and up. X-over 48 db. Fun project that actully works pretty well, if you aply some digi EQ.

Regards Sebastian

Nice work Sebastian, StigErik has a lot to answer for :D
My speakers don't look anything I imagined they would thanks to his influence. His are definitely a benchmark for OB.
Did you try crossing them over lower say somewhere around 150Hz?

Here are the sensitivity and linearity measurements done at 2,83V from the listening spot, ~2,5m away from the speakers. Both are done completely without eq, including no 6dB/oct dipole compensation, there is just LR4 low pass at 800Hz.

Im impressed with the output and efficiency. A row of 8's or 10's with an RD 50 may be the way I go.

What 8" driver is that? What are the specs (Fs, Qts, Vas)?

Thanks for sharing the results.

Im impressed with the output and efficiency. A row of 8's or 10's with an RD 50 may be the way I go.

What 8" driver is that? What are the specs (Fs, Qts, Vas)?

Thanks for sharing the results.

Yep they are very voltage efficient, I have wired arrays to 3.2 ohm nominal impedance. The driver is Gradient Axis AXT-08, basically paper/kevlar cone version of the Dayton Audio RS-series with a slightly smaller xmax(I think it's smaller). Driver has been tested in 2011/3 Klang & Ton. Basically an accurate and punchy woofer with high sensitivity, low moving mass, strong motor and high Qms. Efficiency is about 92dB/w, qts 0.3, Mms 21 grams, Vas 50l, Le 0,4mH, voice coil diameter 39mm, xmax around +/- 4mm (+/- 5,5mm mathematical/realistic).

Last edited: