Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

They might not be pretty, but they sound great (only one currently built, still prototyping).

Attachments

• IMAG1097.jpg
    IMAG1097.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 983
looks similar to naoNote, although this shape considerably better looking.

henry

Wait till you see the NaO Note II. :)

It has the same upper mid but uses a single Scanspeak Discovery 22W/8534G for the lower mid with a single, front firing tweeter. (Yes, above the uppermid cut off there doesn't seem to be any need for a rear tweeter, though that may change.)

Last edited:
I find it interesting that he continued the journey with dipoles instead of omnis.

- Elias

+1!

Pluto page quote from SL:

"When very deep bass is required then PLUTO only hints at its presence, but cannot deliver the rumble.

The male and female voice range, though, whether single or in mass, is handled so well that I sometimes wonder what the higher cost of the ORION is buying me.

I do not sense a lack of very high frequency extension nor of volume capability. Imaging of PLUTO is very precise, the speakers disappear, the sound stage is tall and wide, but with less depth than the ORION. The performers appear closer. Overall, PLUTO lacks at times the ease, authority and refined clarity of sound that ORION can deliver on good program material."

So a little less depth than the ORION which is largely a function of lower freq. response.

and then:

"But if you add the recently designed subwoofers, then the 3-way PLUTO+ becomes truly an alternative to the ORION."

..and a little less refinement overall.

-He should have tried the ORION's dipole bass with a midrange optimized PLUTO mid, and perhaps an improved design for the treble.. :(

Last edited:
See comment below:

I learned a lot in these ten years, not just about loud speakers but about the perceptual transformation of a source picked up by microphones in a recording venue and then presented to a listener's ears and brain in a living room. The recording / mixing engineer often seems two lack adequate monitors, otherwise I do not understand the intend of the phantom scene, wooden resulted from his efforts. So I have been Experimenting on and off for some time now on a monitor, essentially on a form -follows-function evolution of the Orion without concern for WAF. I call it LX521, Because it is something like my 21st speaker design as far as I can remember, a machine for wooden an essential element came together on 5/21 of this year. I will show the monitor at the Burning Amp Festival, hoping that the Necessary parts for DIY will become available soon there after.

How long John? Got a thread discussing this project?

Maybe this winter (I don't do much audio in the summer.) No thread yet, but I've been working on it on and off for about a year and a half but only part time. The baffle is similar to the note but the speaker will look like the NaO II RS with grills on. Sorry, I'm old school. I like speakers with grills. I don't like looking at the drivers. The speaker is all active, digital, using the miniDSP 2x8. There will not be a hybrid or active analog version.

Maybe this winter (I don't do much audio in the summer.) No thread yet, but I've been working on it on and off for about a year and a half but only part time. The baffle is similar to the note but the speaker will look like the NaO II RS with grills on. Sorry, I'm old school. I like speakers with grills. I don't like looking at the drivers. The speaker is all active, digital, using the miniDSP 2x8. There will not be a hybrid or active analog version.

Thanks John. Sounds good, especially all digital on the minidsp.

That new SL top panel in black is really ugly:d Perhaps grills are in order to hide those drivers.

Is that a 27TFFNC/G on the new SL design? I doubt it, but if it is, it's significantly less expensive than the Orion's tweeter. Also, it's hard to make out in the photo, but what is that below the (I'm guessing) 10" mid bass driver? Also appears to have no magnet mount on any of the open panel drivers. The only drivers I recognize for sure are the Seas L26's in the modified W baffle.

Here is my new OB project, inspired by StigErik.
Slot Loaded OB with 4x 15" sub from 20-400 hz, 6x 8" Goldwood from 400-1000 hz and 6x NEO8s from 1000 and up. X-over 48 db. Fun project that actully works pretty well, if you aply some digi EQ.

Regards Sebastian

Attachments

• IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    941.7 KB · Views: 2,616
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 2,506