Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

I just finished these. A pair of Eminence beta 12 LTAs and a beta 15.

For now I have a dome tweeter propped up next to them. I'm still up in the air on what tweeter to use for real. Open to suggestions.

These drivers were unlistenable when they were new. About 6 months of playing every day in the shop has transformed them.

evan

Attachments

• DSC01414.JPG
    DSC01414.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,378
  • DSC01415.JPG
    DSC01415.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,043
A compression driver ?
Drivers | Eminence Speaker

I just finished these. A pair of Eminence beta 12 LTAs and a beta 15.

For now I have a dome tweeter propped up next to them. I'm still up in the air on what tweeter to use for real. Open to suggestions.

These drivers were unlistenable when they were new. About 6 months of playing every day in the shop has transformed them.

evan

A compression driver is what I have been thinking. I left room for a horn. I only need to cover the highest frequencies, but would like to buy a driver that could be repurposed in the future. I have also considered the horn loaded ribbon tweeter that CSS sells. Time wll tell.

Some sundae work shopping- quick & dirty proto on the making.
Second woofer is faced downwards in the base of the baffle, not yet mounted on the pic.
Fourth driver in the baffle is -to say- back-firing.

4th order line level analogue@80hz for full ranges. Woofers double amped, monopole+dipole combo with some corrections, digital line level XO.

Looks promising, please show us some more pics!

Regards
Till

Thank you, but rather not: the material is of highly explicit nature:D.

Skipped recently highpass from full ranges, power amp driven directly from preamps outputs. Another pair of pre outs is still feeding active XO to subs and Audax PR130 tweeters. ( rear. )
It's just amazing how much one single box can mess up things- that active XO, no matter how suppposedly well executed it is.
Looks to me like those three pairs of good quality full range units has a sufficient power handling, no more need to high pass.

Attachments

• 2011-12-18 19.19.40.jpg
    2011-12-18 19.19.40.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 2,771
Last edited:
Finished my Notes a couple of days ago. They use the Acoustic Elegance IB15 in H-baffles instead of the originals XLS U-baffles. After some tinkering with the MiniDSP I got the basses tuned in. Needless to say, they sound awesome! I'm very happy how they turned out. Thanks JohnK for a fantastic design! :)

The top baffle.

Note_top.jpg

And here's the complete left channel including the poweramp doubling as a base. :D

Note_topbot.jpg

Skipped recently highpass from full ranges, power amp driven directly from preamps outputs. Another pair of pre outs is still feeding active XO to subs and Audax PR130 tweeters. ( rear. )

Oh my. Running two pairs of bizarre widebands with fs=26 hz, very low qt>0.3 and very high zmax 0.7k in parallel with a more normal third pair of high q, higher fs=45 hz seems to make more good to power handling and distortion as does any line level XO to the same first two pairs of drivers.
Of course, there's no substitute for paper area, but there must be also something else going on now.
I'm pretty much baffeled. Thank you, Thorsten, and thank you, a couple of local fellas, for suggesting this experiment.

Last edited:
Back then, I ran in the issues with the drivers of first two pairs, as some digital recordings including probably unwanted subsonics- as also did badly set up analog rig, or seriously warped records, of course - made the drivers to exceed their linear excursion limit in most disturbing way, likely to cause serious damage to their pretty unexceptional suspension in days, I believe. I did not tried that.
Instead I tried pretty much everything else, and only not running them full range, with active xo cured that problem compeletely enough. But now, in parallel with third pair of dissimilar drivers: I'm tried my utmost and the bastards are virtually not moving at all, no matter what I play or how loud as long as I do not cut out that third pair- when I do, that compeletely uncontrolled cone flapping starts immediately.

Last edited:
My Bastanis

HI all,

Just found this thread, thought might as well post my pair here. They are Bastanis Mandala kit with twin 12" widebanders , airforce dipole tweeter and 18" h-frame bass bin. 100db/1w efficiency

The twin 12" widebanders would be upgraded to the new Chrystal versions in a week or so, plus new 18" woofers.

Baffles and cabinets are built more or less to spec size using 1" baltic birchply, but added my artistic stuff on it. I thought they look good for baroque music :p

BTW, I am located in Hong Kong.

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3130-1.jpg

201102052313198453.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

Coleman%252520Bastinas%252520Open%252520Baffel%252520-%25252004.jpg

shotbydaiwok.jpg

Last edited: