Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

that would be below 200-300Hz with what I measure and hear it doesn't make sense what you say there.
So your making a faulty assumption somehow and I do not know why.

It also would mean the OB doesn't make sound below the schroder frequency.

Why would an open baffle not make any sound below the Schröder frequency? Either your or my understanding of sound propagation in air is false.

Nice recently built Nao Note:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/163072-nao-note-preview-13.html#post2807263

6459245063_990d486540_d.jpg

6459239655_f7dcb10c74_d.jpg

I do not know what he is talking about. Usually people worry about the out of phase wave from dipole not monopole. Even that is not a major concern in real rooms:

From Linkwitz lab's:
"Often concern is expressed over the fact that the rear radiation from a dipole is out of phase with the front radiation, and that thus any sound reflected from a wall behind the speaker would cancel sound coming from the front of the speaker. Cancellation can only occur when direct and reflected sounds are exactly of opposite phase (180 degrees) and of the same strength. Since direct and reflected sounds travel paths of different length, they undergo different amounts of phase shift. Thus, the phase and magnitude conditions for cancellation are given only at certain frequencies, if at all. At some other frequencies direct and reflected sounds will add. The same also applies to a monopole speaker in front of a wall. The only difference is in the frequencies for which addition and subtraction occur. The best remedy is to move the speaker away from the wall, or to make the wall as sound absorptive or diffusive as possible"

SL is talking in generalities here, as he often does, and about higher frequencies. The behavior of monopole, dipole and cardioids, due to the reflection from the wall behind the speaker is discussed HERE. And the real situation is more complicated due to room modes.

Last edited:
Some sundae work shopping- quick & dirty proto on the making.
Second woofer is faced downwards in the base of the baffle, not yet mounted on the pic.
Fourth driver in the baffle is -to say- back-firing.

4th order line level analogue@80hz for full ranges. Woofers double amped, monopole+dipole combo with some corrections, digital line level XO.

Attachments

• 2011-12-18 19.19.40.jpg
    2011-12-18 19.19.40.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 2,691
Last edited:
di-poles

just finished these..
in cherry wood.
only a cap in the tweeter line to protect it, the bass and mid are wired parallel.
they're both 16 ohms.
This one uses a Goodmans Axiom 112, a Goodmans Axiom 300 and a Fostex 103 tweeter
the sound.. just amazing
DSCN0997.JPG

GP Audio - Home
TIME MACHINES AND TUBE AMPS

Attachments

• DSCN1004.JPG
    DSCN1004.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,114
  • DSCN1081.JPG
    DSCN1081.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 3,085
  • DSCN1083.JPG