Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

The Orion clone a.k.a. O'Ryan

Open baffle speakers - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

attachment.php

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Yes, I imagine that anything that Alon Wolf puts out is pretty good. Even when he was a Diy'er on the old "Bass List" he was always working hard trying to improve the sound of his speakers, and usually did!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Wow, so he really "graduated" from DIY school and gone pro (top of the heap at that) - turning his hobby/passion into a profession. Job well done, man!

Jaz

Wow, so he really "graduated" from DIY school and gone pro (top of the heap at that) - turning his hobby/passion into a profession. Job well done, man!

Jaz

The fact is that most of the good designers started as DIY'ers. There isn't, AFAIK, a specific curriculum for speaker design taught anywhere. Most learned by doing, and bouncing ideas back and forth on forums like the "Bass List."
The old "Bass List" had a large (actually huge) number of very talented people in it's ranks, that were, or went on to become, professionals. Alon was certainly one of the latter.

Another example is my friend, Dan Wiggins. He was just your ordinary, everyday designer of SONAR systems when I met him through the "List" and today he designs drivers for the likes of JBL (and many, many others) as well as doing work under contract for Microsoft. He actually got started in audio after being a contestant in one of our speaker contests.

There are a number of former "Bass Listers" that are currently AK members, processing a great deal of expertise and knowledge. I won't identify them, for fear that the groupie's and autograph hunters would make their lives a living hell.........Wait, on second thought..........Oh, never mind!
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Martin King FF85 over Alpha 15s

I'm sure I'm not going to make the ultimate OB speakers, but I thought I'd weigh in on my first ever speaker build.

I bought 4'x8' 3/4" plywood at Home Despot. They sliced it into smaller sheets - 38"x20" for me at the store. I was trying to decide on the best angle of attack since I own essentially no tools (just bought a drill press for amp projects). Ultimately, I choose to buy a router and route the holes. I was tempted to buy a circle jig, but after looking at how flimsy they were for the real money, I made my own.

I picked up my Porter Cable Router with plunge and standard bases for ~$100 from Ebay. It came with some very well worn bits. I used a 3/4 carbide tipped bit to router all my rabbets, and holes.

My jig was a scrap of plywood, subjected to my drill press at the right places. Attached are my results.

Attachments

• Plywood.jpg
    Plywood.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Router and Jig.jpg
    Router and Jig.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 707
  • Result.jpg
    Result.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 747
I jury-rigged one speaker tonight.

I have to thank Martin King - this is the best value I've ever encountered in audio. I'm basing my opinion on one channel, not yet finished and the sound quality is truly outstanding.

Martin - keep up the great work. Your design is beyond a winner - it's best in class.