Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Awesome gainphile!

Just paint them pink and they look just like Barbapapa... :D

Barbapapa.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with the bassresponse. I'm thinking about using my AE IB15 in a baffle about 50cm wide, do you think this will work?

Gainphile, it would be best to put the text on post no.420 in quotation marks.

Love your work by the way. I have put together a PLLXO, 4-way active system myself, based on ideas from yourself, the NaoNote, and StigEriks set-up, to name a few. I have no measuring equipment yet, other than my ears and a test tone CD, but would like to try the omnipole function on the Blue yeti mic, then I can record instruments with it also, a cost effective solution. I wonder if it would suffice?
Product Review - Blue Microphone Yeti USB Microphone Review

Here is something that is finally working very well for me after a couple of years of experimentation (playing around). I just try to copy other peoples sims and measurements to get ball park baffle widths and xover points.

Structure
The baffle width is a compromise but worth the theoretical advantages and improved WAF. From the picture you can see the 4" driver is behind the tweeter. I am planning on trimming some metal of the aluminum supports so that the cones can sit between the supports, lining up the acoustical centers, and hopefully resolving supposed diffraction issues.

Drivers
Neo3PDR, open baffled.
Monacor MS-100CHQ - 4ohm - 90db
http://www.monacor.de/typo3/index.ph...8&spr=EN&typ=u
Monacor SP-8/150PRO - 8ohm - 93db
http://www.monacor-ost.com/catalogue...=62&SubKtg=679
Eminence Alpha15s - 8ohm - paralleled to give 4ohm

Xover
The PLLXO changes regularly since I am guessing a lot to be honest. I crossed the 15's 67Hz/12db, supposedly reducing some of the open baffle hump this narrow baffle would give the woofers. Sounds right after a lot of experimenting. On 31octave test tones, the sound is pretty close to flat now, with a BSc circuit (10k-10k-100nf) on the upper two or three drivers.

Amp6b - 15" LP - 67Hz@12db
Amp6b - 8" BP - 125-350@6db
TA10.1 - 4"+Neo3PDR in parallel (just above 4ohm with the Xover hopefully) HP - 700hz@6db.
Speaker level cap on Neo3PDR - 8khz@6db

Attachments

• DSC00444.jpg
    DSC00444.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,222
  • DSC00446.jpg
    DSC00446.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3,203
  • DSC00441.jpg
    DSC00441.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3,158
fakamada,

I think 250 Hz and 2 kHz is pretty optimal. It is what you hear that counts not what you could press units to. X-max-wise, distortionwise and so on.
But soundwise I think that the Alpha15s are the weakest link in this setup. You can occasionally hear, I think at least, notes that could be more stringently reproduced.

keyser,

I could not get consistent results replaying CD records with no baffle. Most sounded thin in high bass, low midrange compared to the sound with this small 8" baffle. Also without baffle I needed 15 dB shelving EQ for the 6ND430 and 300 Hz crossover frequency. Now with the 20 cm baffle there is no need for EQ at all. No doubt for this combo baffle is better than no baffle soundwise.

But also no doubt you win both clarity and definition by separating bass baffle from the midrange and tweeter. This is easily heard.

/Erling

Last edited:
I think the cutoff is 30 minutes after posting, but I could be wrong...

They certainly look like they mean business, and it's good to see someone else enjoying the amp6-b. Also, the links to the drivers don't appear to be working.

I am awaiting delivery of a couple of amp9s to replace the amp6s (and a TA10.1). Eight instead of six channels, and more power at lower distortion, should improve them.

Here are some links I just double checked;

4" (As used by Skorpion in his MJAO G 098, which prompted me to try it);
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:New products

8" (I've never seen anyone use this, just a suggestion somewhere for dipole use);
MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:New products

CJ, that looks like an excellent candidate for Orion 5 !

Or NaO 2 ?

:cool:

What is your listening impression and do you have plots?

This is my work in progress ... code name S16WG

It is controlled-directivity from 20hz to 20khz. I've measured the WG part and will need to go outdoor to measure the whole speakers.

Attachments

• dsc_4767.jpg
    dsc_4767.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 3,014
Last edited:
keyser,

I could not get consistent results replaying CD records with no baffle. Most sounded thin in high bass, low midrange compared to the sound with this small 8" baffle. Also without baffle I needed 15 dB shelving EQ for the 6ND430 and 300 Hz crossover frequency. Now with the 20 cm baffle there is no need for EQ at all. No doubt for this combo baffle is better than no baffle soundwise.

But also no doubt you win both clarity and definition by separating bass baffle from the midrange and tweeter. This is easily heard.

/Erling

In my system I simply apply sufficient EQ to make it sound full-bodied (a 14 dB low Q notch at the first dipole peak). Alright, it eats quite a bit of dynamic range, but the radiation pattern is much improved and it sounds better too.

Spheres

Just got them ready. The loudspeaker is a AX830E from Hifonics, the diameter is about 50cm. It's an ventilated box.
The leather-work is not that perfect, but for the first time it's fine :cool:

Attachments

• DSC05967.jpg
    DSC05967.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC05968.jpg
    DSC05968.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC05969.jpg
    DSC05969.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 585
DIYMA R12, 830883, XT25 neo

Not as nice looking as alot of these posted (This was really my first woodworking project, and first time veneering)

DSC01950.jpg

(20-350Hz) DIYMA R12 in sealed .82cf, 1.5" thick MDF, covered with cherry veneer (I absolutely love the sound of this driver)

Top portion is 3/4" red oak with cherry veneer only on the front face.

(350-3khz) Peerless 830883 (may change to a SS 18W/8531G)

(3Khz up) Vifa XT25 neo (temporary, final is SS 3004/6620, crossover will move down to 1800hz)

Crossover is in the small silver faced box in the background using two miniDSPs (these are great), along with 3x PGA2311s for volume control.

I have owned Polk RT55i's, LSI9's, B&W 601S3's, and B&W 703's, I am much happier with the sound of these than I have been with any other speaker.