Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

My clone of the Emerald Physics CS2:

VMacoustics.jpg

That art thing or acoustic panel or whatever you call it, is that something you made yourself?

Regards

My latest "makeshift" OB´s: EV SP12B woofers + EV 1823M drivers with unknown horns + unknown exponential tweeters on 40x23" plywood baffles. The most expensive part was the wood...:)
Active XO @ 900Hz between the woofers and the mid horns + single cap in series with the tweeters. With a bit of EQ they don´t sound too bad...:D

Attachments

• WEstyle.JPG
    WEstyle.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 3,630
Narrow Open Baffle

I am consider building a narrow open baffle (about 6" wide) MTM with wings that slant back @ 45 degrees to the main baffle and would be as tall as same. I am planning on Seas 11FGX (2) with a Dynaudio Esotech D260 in between. What is the group thought about such an arrangement

o o
o o
o o
o o
ooooooooooo

Narrow Baffles

Actually the main baffles are 6 inches wide by about 24 inches tall. On each side of the main baffle is a wing that extends back about 6 inches at a 45 degree angle to the main baffle. I tried to draw it but the computer changed what I drew to nonsense. This MTM unit will sit on top of a woofer Unit (10inch) powered by a plate amp. The mid-tweeter unit will be passively crossed at 2500 Hz and equalized by an octave equalizer. Eventually I want to change the tweeter to a ribbon (Fountek NeoCD3).

navin, active through Behringer DCX2496 but I think it would not be too difficult to drive them passive. Preliminar simulations I made say it should be possible to use 200 Hz and 3 kHz for LR 12 dB/oct filters with good result. But as I EQ the 6ND430 a little between 200 and 300 Hz to compensate for baffle loading loss one might have to use more bafflewidth.

/Erling

From the NaO family, by John K.

NaO Note Preview

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

John Kreskovsky shows really breathtaking measurements with these speakers
:up: :up: :up:

The new SS 15M/4624G00 might have been a interesting alternative to the 4" mid though. Going "quasi nude" with the 5.25" would possibly not have made much of a difference to the 4" in current baffle.

Michael

Last edited:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/157665-question-geddes-john-k-3.html

Looks very interesting. Not sure if this is the Nao Note. Footprint looks like the ESLs. A departure from his philosophy of narrow baffles.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

100db at 30hz.. I can live with that :cool:

EDIT:

More info!

New open baffle - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

http://www.musicanddesign.com/pubimages/NaO_DW_back.JPG

This speaker in what I call the NaO DW, DW after Dayton Wright, which I owned years ago and liked the style. However the speaker is being modified. While it works are advertised, I decided I could make it a better speaker by making the baffle for the mid narrower and going back to a hybrid, biamped design. It was always a "parts bin" speaker, not intended for anything but for me to listen to. The modified speaker will still look the same but above the woofers the baffle will narrow to about 13".

This was just an experiment as I had all the parts so figured....what the hell. I've been a horn guy for 30 years.....not any longer.

George and I spent yesterday building a pair of Open Baffle, Line Array, EconoWaves. He got here at 11:00 and left at around 5:00. I think we made good progress.

The drivers are PE 69 cent NSB close outs.

The horns are JBL 6"x6" wave guides with Selenium D210T (JBL wave guide part 364914-001)

The cross overs are stock eWave - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...1&d=1242968714

They ar 48" tall and 24" wide with the driver centers 6" from the edge and (top to bottom) centered on the baffle.

IMG_3988.jpg

They are now both running in the garage and sound fantastic.

Open Baffle speakers with Fostex and Tone Tubby

Hi,

This design is inspired by a similar design I saw on diyaudio featuring Lowther / Tone Tubby.

Running off a Behringer Digital Crossover.

Cheers.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I may contribute to the "Ultimate OB gallery", here is the link to my biggest OB project:
Audio Pages: Big open baffle speakers
It no longer exists, but it was fun. I built lots of OB speakers since then, mostly mix of OB mids and heights, but closed box woofers. None of my projects were "ultimate" in any sense, just for fun.
ed

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
have you compared the lowther against the fostex+neo directly? do the two way achieve that lifefullness lowther has?

I am not sure if I follow your question...can you be more specific? What do you mean by "lifefullnes"?
I lived with Lowthers more than 10 years and never considered them lifefull. Well extended to heights, yes, but not the bottom. Efficient? Yes, but not flat and balanced. Do you mean "dynamic"? Yes, all highly efficient speakers feel dynamic in contrary to low efficiency drivers which might feel a little lifeless.

Are you asking if the 2-way can be dynamic? You bet. Yes, I compared side by side and the fostex/neo combo is win-win in every category.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi adason - I checked out your work at Audio Pages: Big open baffle speakers

Amazing! You do keep yourself busy doing the speaker thing (lot's of amps too). Great stuff!

I have been considering something similar to your latest OB design with the Fostex and B&G Neo3 but I am a bit uneasy about the narrow vertical dispersion of the Neo3. Perhaps with a good FR in use this is not as important vs. conventional design using a traditional mid-range driver. Would you please share your experience with regards to the vertical dispersion of the Neo3? TIA