Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

FRS 8 (promise I'll stop soon)

Cheaper here

http://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/frs-8-2004/speaker-full-range-50w-8ohm/dp/LS01667

Like I said before - using the speaker alignment I used (OB+BR, where BR cancels OB rearwave), I can get to 60Hz, which is (annoyingly) lower than it would manage in a ported box. the downside, however, is the lack of volume available, which could only be fixed if more air was to be moved. So, here's an idea to play with: get 8 of them, put 2 of them in each baffle, across then the cancelling speakers behind, include the standard XO, and you'll get more air shifted, thus more volume! :mischiev:

I would post a pic, but I'm halfway through painting them - decided on minimalist white.

All in all - a good buy.

Chris

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/ultimate-gear/ne_plus_ultra/

090730-ta-woofers.jpg

Hello fellas!
I'm the guy that build those. Thank you for the complements. :D

Stoffel - Yes, they are heavy. They're right at 100 pounds (45 Kilograms) each.
Roger - Yes, you're correct as well, they are very labor intensive. But it's a labor of love.

You folks might like the three channel baffles I build for myself. They're sand filled, three layer MDF. The center channel baffle contains a SqueezeBox3 mounted just above the driver. These use the same HawthorneAudio Silver Iris 15" drivers as the "Trio" versions posted above.

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0144-1.jpg

Because of the very problematic acoustic environment in my livingroom I´m stuck with a very limited choice of speakers to get any kind of imaging.
After messing around with frontloaded horns from 200Hz and up combined with various experimental LF systems without getting it right and slapped together a two way horn/OB system. I knew from previous experiments that dipole bass works fairly well in my room while horn loaded mids and highs helps to eliminate problems caused by the assymetric room.

Electrovoice SP12B in winged chipboard baffles mated with DIY multicell horns, active XO @ 900Hz 24dB/octave. The power amps are cathode follower SETs with 12B4A output tubes

Attachments

• OBhorn1.JPG
    OBhorn1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 621
  • OBhorn2.JPG
    OBhorn2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 613