Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

We need pics guys... it's a gallery thread.

48fbd592babf1fc67f8a16748d4ae9f8.jpg

Beautiful OBs in the posts above!

Here's my latest project. I'm using a cinder block to adjust the angle. I hope to cut up three new baffles this weekend - I love the Dayton PS98 (in the picture) but I'm working on a Vifa + tweeter and Fostex + tweeter and plan to swap them in and out over the next few months. I've also got a few TBs I'd like to make baffles for too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,720
Audio Nirvana goodness

I too have been enjoying the "full range on top + large H-Frame on the bottom" formula for quite some time (a couple of years) now. Audio Nirvana Super 8" on top, Goldwood 1858 18" on the bottom in MJK H-frames. Between the two are 3/4" ply boxes I made out of scrap to contain 50 lbs of concrete patio blocks as a sort of isolation "damper". It doesn't get much easier.

Biggest change is that I put the miniDSP 2x4 I was running on a shelf (too much hiss out of the full rangers at idle) and replaced my consumer level amps with a pair of brand new Crown XLS 1500 (half price was just too good to pass up! Get em before they are gone!) I'm using the internal XO in the Crowns to apply a 24db LR at 125Hz. I know this defeats the purpose of taking advantage of the mid-bass "hump" found in the H-frame design described by MJK, but I am reasonably pleased with the sound... and the hiss I was experiencing with the miniDSP has all but vanished.

No, for those that have not heard simple OB bass, these are not lacking in any way. Not really sub SUB bass, for home theater, this still made the whole house shake watching "War Horse" at what I think of as "theater level" volume. I built these specifically with Charles Mingus' "Haitian Fight Song" in mind and they do not disappoint. Bela Fleck with Edgar Meyer in "Music For Two" or with Zakir Hussain on their collaborative "The Melody of Rhythm" album sounds live, even in my less than ideal room.

The Yamaha receiver I use as the pre-amp source has room correction and dynamic EQ features but I rarely use them for pure, two channel listening. :)

Attachments

• 20151113_152530.jpg
    20151113_152530.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 2,051

Here's my latest project. I'm using a cinder block to adjust the angle. I hope to cut up three new baffles this weekend - I love the Dayton PS98 (in the picture) but I'm working on a Vifa + tweeter and Fostex + tweeter and plan to swap them in and out over the next few months. I've also got a few TBs I'd like to make baffles for too.

That's the way to go : several setup's !!
Go for it.

Leon.

I can't find anything on the PS98... :confused:

I too am considering trying something new on top. Not because I don't like the AN Super 8's up there but because I'd really like to stuff them back in their full range bass reflex boxes for awhile. I remember them sounding terrific like that... So yeah, basically I'm on the hunt for a good open baffle upper driver candidate(s) again.

I'm sorry, it's the Dayton PS95-8. I made a typo.

I've been enjoying two great little inexpensive 3" drivers lately. I can see either of them in your setup.

• Dayton PS95-8 - detailed and sweet with a bit of a sibilant sound (angle upwards)
• Vifa TC9 plus a dome tweeter - balanced, detailed and sounds just like you sat down to listen to music in a Hi-End stereo shop

If you want something cheap and enjoyable look into these.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 1,685
Very attractive!!! On a tangent, has anyone found a source with the BG Neos in stock?

If you mean new ones, there are a couple of places in Europe that do, but they are asking rather exorbitant prices for them.

Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop[shop_articles][action]=overview&index[shop_articles][category==11

Otherwise there are always a few on eBay.

I just picked up a pair of Neo 10s as back up.]%[/category]

If you mean new ones, there are a couple of places in Europe that do, but they are asking rather exorbitant prices for them.

Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop[shop_articles][action]=overview&index[shop_articles][category==11

Otherwise there are always a few on eBay.

I just picked up a pair of Neo 10s as back up.]%[/category]
[category=

I just had a look at ebay; neo 8 from $89 each plus shipping, and Neo 10 pair from !! $670 !! a pair, with free delivery.
I can't tell if these are original, or copies.]%[/category]

MITSound, what are the crossover points and slopes?
How abt turning bigger planar sideways to bring closer acoustic centers with tweeter and reduce lobing?
How dense and thick is foam "baffle" on woofer? Is it sufficient to control bass cancellation below 250-300Hz?
Bass bins are stuffed cardioid like NaO?
if not: Why not bigger woofers in Hframe? Or why not Wframe with force cancellation (Linkwitz style)?

MITSound, what are the crossover points and slopes?
How abt turning bigger planar sideways to bring closer acoustic centers with tweeter and reduce lobing?
How dense and thick is foam "baffle" on woofer? Is it sufficient to control bass cancellation below 250-300Hz?
Bass bins are stuffed cardioid like NaO?
if not: Why not bigger woofers in Hframe? Or why not Wframe with force cancellation (Linkwitz style)?
Hello, the Neo 3 crosses at 6000 hertz, 4th order active; the Neo 10 crosses at 1500 hertz, 4th order active; the 6 1/2" Dynavox is passively filtered @220 hertz, the 4 Dayton Audio RSS265-4HFs are filtered 4th order at 180 hertz with the plate amplifier's controls.
The tweeter, midrange, and midbass drivers are all bolt mounted from the back, so they are in fact not vertically aligned, but in somewhat of an arc radiused from a point about three and a half feet off the ground, and @ 12' from the centre of the two arrays, my usual listening spot.
I haven't needed any stuffing in the U Frames, and didn't like the sound of these subwoofer in push pull array, when I pushed them as high as 400 hertz in the past, possibly some basket/ magnet distortions added to the lower vocal region.
I had liked the Dynavox in a no baffle set up, and saw someone here experimenting with a lossy wool baffle.
I had no wool, but did have some 12×12×2" soft acoustic foam tiles, and tried one out.
It drastically reduced a splashy quality I hadn't noticed before, so I did both channels, but really heard no difference from the trim around the Neo 10, I just like how it looks.
I do like the 2 18" Podium Pro subwoofer I've got, but I think the 4 Dayton with 1 1000 watt amp are a little lower in distortion.
I may put the 2 Podium Pros in a push pull world frame under the TV, between the two speaker stacks, to boost the bottom octave a little.