Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can not help it, those big open baffles are always an eyesore. I know that it's hard to make it look pleasing. So I was thinking, another option would be to make bass baffle like that weird scandinavian Gradient Helsinki 1.5, facing sideways, and have only mids/tweet on front facing open baffle.
Anybody knows how those two woofers in Gradient are wired? Seems to me like those speakers are made as mirror pair, one woofer facing left, one right. Am I right?

Attachments

• helsinki-opener.jpg
    helsinki-opener.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,199
Gradient measures better then Wilson Audio Alexandria at stereophile web page...thanks Face.

Maybe that's the way to go...narrow from the front.
Since it's a cardioid from 250hz+, it would have to be relatively narrow unless a large waveguide was used for directivity instead. It appears they're using a passive resistive enclosure for the mid, so it would have to either be narrow or small in size for midrange frequencies.

The Hestia V

My "Hestia-V" DIY project with baffle shape inspired by LX521

Eminence B102
Seas FU10
Dayton AMT Pro
All passive crossover

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 884
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 752
  • photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 702
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 638
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 403
I was just looking back through this thread for inspiration and realized I never posted completed pictures here. Job well done and thanks to everyone for posting their projects.

Attachments

• IMAG1238.jpg
    IMAG1238.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 2,712
  • IMAG1237.jpg
    IMAG1237.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 2,839
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 2,970
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 3,137
Nice.. are those stand mount speakers in 4th pic in background open baffle too?

Yes. Just a bamboo cutting board bolted into the top of a speaker stand. Used as surrounds for a while. I've since turned the system 90deg and will change the design to add a Neo3 and build them into the rear wall I think.

Greg

Attachments

• surrounds.jpg
    surrounds.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,829
For bass frequencies, it doesn't matter which direction the woofer is facing. Gradient Helsinki 1.5 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

I know this is supposed to be a thread about pics only, but for dipole bass it does matter which way the woofer faces.

The dipole null to the sides is the theoretical explanation for the advantage of dipole bass.

It's easy enough to see in action if you have a separate bass section. You can rotate them and measure the drop-off from when they face you versus when they are perpendicular.

This isn't apparent really low, but I'm not sure dipoles should be used really low anyway.

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is my last build – DSP controlled active 4 way system. These speakers were built to satisfy all my audiophilic needs without sacrificing anything of following: strong bass down to 30hz, fast mid/upper bass, authoritative yet clean, open and rich sounding midrange and very detailed and natural upper midrange and treble without any coloration or sharpness.

Each loudspeaker consists of 3 modules – U-frame bass, midbass in minimal baffle and midrange-tweeter baffle on top of them. To lessen unwanted bass vibrations, modules are decoupled from each other. I have hanged the midrange-tweeter baffle so that it doesn’t vibrate at all, at least it can’t be felt by touch even on high SPL.

Each speaker driver is driven at frequencies where it performs best, keeping overall distortion low, frequency response flat, transition response fast and dispersion wide yet controlled. Special attention deserves double waveguides made by David Pellegrene, which made my tweeters shine even more.

Crossover (JRiver Media Center inbuilt DSP): 48db@120hz, 500hz, 1800hz
Drivers: Eminence Deltalite II 2515 (below 120hz), Eighteensound 12NMB420 (120-500hz), Tang Band W8-1772 (500-1800hz), Aurum Cantus AST2560 (from 1,8khz)
Enclosure materials: plywood, rubber sheets, wool felt
Dimensions: width 48cm, depth 38cm, height 123cm

Building thread with photos (in Latvian): here

Last edited:
Hi Darkheart,

Nice look ! You in the North have the sense of aesthetic.

Could you say please why the choice of the Eighteen Sound in these band in relation to others similar speakers ? And why the Aurum cantus with a very low Xo at 1800 hz : see elswhere in fact this driver can't go so low without distorsion and is better around 2.5 to 3 k hz xo.

No high pass in the low end for the Delta II ? What is the natural slope rolf off here ?
regards

Eldam

My only suggestion for improvement is that you would likely reduce distortion by a lot if you inverted one of the H-frame drivers.
I don't believe there would be any noticeable difference - these drivers have very low distortion down to 30hz and 2nd order distortion is about as low as 3rd.

Darkheart: try rubberbands!
I cannot see any "decoupling" at all...
Rubberbands are not so easy to work with, if you want baffles hanging in specific height (close enough to bottom modules, but not touching them).
Decoupling between 2 lower modules is done by only 5mm thick rubber feet. Yes, there are some vibrations, but they don't distort overall sound much. The most benefit I get by decoupling the upper baffle.

The whole thing is overlaid by some pop-up advertising. Can't see a thing.

Best Regards,
TerryO

You can close that window if it pops out or you can see all those photos here: Armands Kon?us - draugiem.lv

Hi Darkheart,

Nice look ! You in the North have the sense of aesthetic.

Could you say please why the choice of the Eighteen Sound in these band in relation to others similar speakers ? And why the Aurum cantus with a very low Xo at 1800 hz : see elswhere in fact this driver can't go so low without distorsion and is better around 2.5 to 3 k hz xo.

No high pass in the low end for the Delta II ? What is the natural slope rolf off here ?
regards

Eldam
12NMB420 has outstanding Bl/Mms ratio for 12" driver, very low inductance and acceptable Qts for equalisation.
AST2560 could be crossed even lower and 2nd order crossover (I use 8th orrder), if put in a waveguide. You can look at distortion measurements in Dave's album: https://plus.google.com/photos/101632266659473725850/albums/5976006511071021745?banner=pwa
In my room bass rolls of naturally at about 30hz (where it is still flat) and is -6db at 26hz where it falls very steeply. I am using 48db high pass at 30hz for driver protection.

Last edited: