Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

I would expect more designs to feature it, it's really a nice sounding tweeter..I very much enjoy mine.

Honestly, the big Heil is the only high frequency driver I like better, their price tag is the only thing keeping me from bringing a couple of them home.

Clearly you have never heard the RAAL dipoles... But they are a lot dearer still. The Heil is a far better tweeter for the money over the Neo3.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 905
Finished my Open baffles in glass, 10mm.
Saba Green cones inside, driven with less then 1 watt from my 6EM7 SE amp.
Never heard anything purer then this!
Absolutely marvelous!!

Looks great, shame we need wire to run drivers :)
What crossover are you using? Are you cutting the mid off at lower frequencies or letting it just play all the way down?

As far as the monopole tweeter goes the SABA does have an open basket so as much gets out of the back of that as with the mid & woofer people use.

I can vouch for the Neo3 & 10's sound good to me. I would love to try the Raal but don't have the available funds :(

Attachments

• 13-01-20 DQ OB Finished01_3.JPG
    13-01-20 DQ OB Finished01_3.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Looks great, shame we need wire to run drivers :)
What crossover are you using? Are you cutting the mid off at lower frequencies or letting it just play all the way down?

As far as the monopole tweeter goes the SABA does have an open basket so as much gets out of the back of that as with the mid & woofer people use.

I can vouch for the Neo3 & 10's sound good to me. I would love to try the Raal but don't have the available funds :(
i cut the saba tweeters (which are open at the back) at about 5khz, the low-mid runs all the way up.

I build these Saba OB's to sell. Or at least I try.
So far, not many and no huge profit, just enough to keep the project going and buy a bottle of malt and a cigar sometimes :eek:

For all the "non" glass ones (wood or steel) I use a PIO from the russian army.

Sounds really nice and clean, it is mounted at the bottom where the terminals are.
They are too big and ugly (customers' point of view, not mine) to use in the glass ones.
There I use MKT's from Monacor.
I prefer the ugly ones...

Attachments

• IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 2,088
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 1,995
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,943
I build these Saba OB's to sell. Or at least I try.
So far, not many and no huge profit, just enough to keep the project going and buy a bottle of malt and a cigar sometimes :eek:

For all the "non" glass ones (wood or steel) I use a PIO from the russian army.

Sounds really nice and clean, it is mounted at the bottom where the terminals are.
They are too big and ugly (customers' point of view, not mine) to use in the glass ones.
There I use MKT's from Monacor.
I prefer the ugly ones...

Very nice well done, the whole 1watt to power them is always attractive. I built a Lukasz Frikas clone using the Saba's & Altec 15" bass drivers, powered the whole thing with about 12W. I have been thinking of building a set using the SABA's in a MTM configuration, one day ;)

Anyone seen these? An interesting single drive unit open baffle speaker with a bass (Helmholtz(?) enclosure excited by the rear wave from the the single drive unit... link > Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE

The fronts...
ZOB580.jpg

The rear...
zobback545.jpg

He also has an interested modified drive unit on his site too if you do some digging..

Would be interested to know if anyone has heard these...

Nice woodwork but the price is too low, only 4000$/pair. Semi-nearfield (12") response is shown in a pdf - not impressive.

I don't really belive that hijacking some of backwave energy through a slot to a reflex chamber, and it's port openig on the backside of the panel really works. The pdfs tell of the development of the speaker in many words, that is nice:xfingers:

Attachments

• zen ob nearfield.png
    zen ob nearfield.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,922
Last edited:
Nice woodwork but the price is too low, only 4000$/pair. Semi-nearfield (12") response is shown in a pdf - not impressive.

I don't really belive that hijacking some of backwave energy through a slot to a reflex chamber, and it's port openig on the backside of the panel really works. The pdfs tell of the development of the speaker in many words, that is nice:xfingers:

This could have been an earlier measurement... and on Final Chapter section (part 5) he discusses development of his driver unit into his ZOB.

DECWARE - Audio Paper Zen Open Baffle Speaker

The plans for self build and $20 don't seem too bad compared to the $4000 not sure if the $4000 includes the FRX drive units though which would account for $1200 of this cost.

FRX2.jpg

I have a pair of Monacor 8inch FR which may work :) in this application see below:

SPM-200X/4

Anyone know how the electromotive damping works?

Decware FRX Full Range Driver