Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Has anybody seen this speaker? It is JMB Acoustique La Chose. I read a small blurb about it in a British Hifi magazine, there is very little info elswhere. Their web site is a bit akward. The price seems to be steep over 20,000 EUR. One of the driver is eminently recognizable as Fostex, sitting on the top, the other two not so sure. The bass arangment, it looks as if two drivers are facing each other? How does that work?
jmb-lachose.jpg
Somehow it looks appealing.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
"The bass arrangement, it looks as if two drivers are facing each other? How does that work?"

those woofers are like clam together to form isobaric, in opposite phase, push-pull, google it or search here, there is lots of info on isobaric subwoofers
it has advantage of lower box volume is required for the same low frequency extension
on the other hand you have to sacrifice the efficiency a little
its only good if you need small box, but for open baffle, I am not sure...
I would expect on open baffle its the cone area and xmax what counts, I am not sure if isobaric has any advantages here

push pull, face to face, should result in more linear motion, in theory

that is if there really are two woofers
I only see one in the picture, the way its shown
or am I looking at the wrong picture, the one with plexi baffle

I'm also only seeing one woofer, but if there are two, then you'd have less distortion (as you've pointed out) and depending on the wiring increased output. Two time the area and half the impedance (???) equals 6dB added output....maybe:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If it's actually push-pull, then what you have is basically a dipole with hardly any benefits and the expense of an added driver?

The 2nd picture is oriented so as not to hide the 2nd driver :)

To be usefulul it would have to be push-pull. This will reduce even order harmonics, possibly increasing odd-order, It also gives double the extra noise you get from the backside of the driver. You get twice the motor (that the Vas halves is immaterial). Whenever i see push-pull i remember something Nick McKinney said. Any drivers with adequate motor design (including his) would get little or no benefit from push-pull.

You could get almost all the same benefits, and the ability to move 2x the air with half the rear of the driver noise, by offsetting the drivers such that they both moved air separately.

dave