Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Hi @Stanislav,

thank you for the reply. The cross-over is actually at about 500 Hz. But, I saw open baffle (if the term is still applicable), that have exactly this combination, in fact I discussed this with @Pano.

Hi @Daihedz,

thank you for the information. As I researched it, this was one suggestion, the other one was to drill a small hole in the dust cup and use a small pick. I was also wondering, since the driver is vented, whether I could use a positive pressure through the vent.

Hi @Juhazi,

thank you for the reply. Actually, since I listen mostly to classical, I used that for the initial listening (Tchaikovskij, Bach, Morricone). And, yes, the feeling of space is what I was trying to describe so in-artfully.

Hi @SBA_SLOB_GUY,

Thank you, I can try that. I also have a Heil ATM with a front horn, so it is opened to the rear, so I can try that.

Hi @MITsound,

thank you for the reply. It is not that I do not like it, it is just that it is different form what I heard before. The best, although ridiculous description would be comparing it to the early color movies, wherein the colors were (for me unnaturally) vivid.

I have constructed the baffle to easily add extension, so I will play with that plus different cross-over point, equalization, etc.

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi @mordikai,

I appreciate the use of various screws, nuts and bolts to secure your woofers. I employ the same technique to take advantage of the different resonant frequencies of the various fasteners; This is often over looked, well done!
ROTFLMAO, this is completely unintentional; I ran out of the socket head screws of the correct length..

Kindest regards,

M

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
It is not that I do not like it, it is just that it is different form what I heard before. The best, although ridiculous description would be comparing it to the early color movies, wherein the colors were (for me unnaturally) vivid.

Kindest regards,

M
I didn't expect it to work (and it didn't, through several attempts over the years), but the reason I went to open baffles was finding things lacking and things added from conventional cabinet or transmission line speakers.
I think I fully agree with you it sounds different; in my case it's finally what I was after. So far. I've had many speakers I thought were "it" speakers for me in the past.
Hopefully I won't be getting the urge for making more sawdust any time soon.
Or at least cleaning it up.

After changing the caps (somewhat- I connected a 0.33uf cap in series with a 0.047uf cap to lower capacitance to 0.041uf) highpassing my power amp, I found the highest treble a little smoother than before.
I disconnected the helper tweeters, and found things a bit too rough up high without the 0.15mh coils I'd been using.
I've wound up leaving the tweeters out, and using some old Intertechnic 0.12mh caps unwound to 0.07mh.

Things are a little less detailed with cymbal heavy music passages, but overall better in other ways I think.
Doing just enough works better here than overthinking things, with this speaker.
20240505_142352.jpg