Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2017, 03:35 PM   #2391
bjarnetv is offline bjarnetv  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Congratulations... Did we reach Nirvana at the same time ?

These are my speakers and still living and breathing until today where the rest became firewood!

It was built in 2/9/2012 (whoa!) and I wrote in my note:
"Update 23/1/13 - I have been living for quite a while with these speakers. I havent' had any desires to build something new ! "

I picked up my old hobby buying and restoring old bikes. Different kind of 'music' and gets me out of the house lol ...

: :: GPZ900R-A7 & GPZ750-R1
Yeah, those were the days when open baffles and controlled dispersion was all the rage

i remember reading through your blog and all the other "open baffle sites" when designing my speakers, and it was real exciting how easy it had become trying out different baffle designs, cardioid vs dipole, etc, due to the emergence of cheap dsp and measurement mics.

i have to admit though, i was never totally happy with the crossovers before moving to a more powerful DSP platform than the minidsp 4x10, and i was often tempted to start anew with something requiring bit less EQ.

i kind of wondered what happened since you stopped building more speakers, so i'm glad to hear that the reason was you being content with your design.

if you haven't yet, you should really try out some advanced TTD dsp yourself though.
the difference compared to regular frequency response XO is pretty mind-boggling.

There's a bunch of norwegian DIY'ers, including myself that just transitioned to Audiolense, and i think we're all pretty happy we took the plunge, even though there was quite a bit of suffering for those of us transitioning from a itunes/mac to a jriver/windows based playback chain
Old 30th October 2017, 09:39 PM   #2392
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarnetv View Post
Yeah, those were the days when open baffles and controlled dispersion was all the rage

i remember reading through your blog and all the other "open baffle sites" when designing my speakers, and it was real exciting how easy it had become trying out different baffle designs, cardioid vs dipole, etc, due to the emergence of cheap dsp and measurement mics.

i have to admit though, i was never totally happy with the crossovers before moving to a more powerful DSP platform than the minidsp 4x10, and i was often tempted to start anew with something requiring bit less EQ.

i kind of wondered what happened since you stopped building more speakers, so i'm glad to hear that the reason was you being content with your design.

if you haven't yet, you should really try out some advanced TTD dsp yourself though.
the difference compared to regular frequency response XO is pretty mind-boggling.

There's a bunch of norwegian DIY'ers, including myself that just transitioned to Audiolense, and i think we're all pretty happy we took the plunge, even though there was quite a bit of suffering for those of us transitioning from a itunes/mac to a jriver/windows based playback chain
what is in your hardware chain? (sound card etc.?)
Old 31st October 2017, 12:17 AM   #2393
bjarnetv is offline bjarnetv  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmyrna View Post
what is in your hardware chain? (sound card etc.?)
I run everything through Jriver on a win10 computer, with correction filters from audiolense in the convolution engine.

connected to it is a Lynx Aurora 8 soundcard, that sends the signal to a 2ch Holton nxv101 r2 for the tweeters, Holton nxv300 r2 monoblocks for the mids, a Sumo Andromeda I for the bass, and finally a rotel rb1510 for the TH subs.

I have the parts for a Holton nxv500r2 laying around to replace the Sumo, but i never seem to find the time to put it together...
The Sumo sounds pretty good though, so there is no rush.

The two turntables are connected to a Graham Slee reflex M/elevator EXP combo, and are equipped with a AT33ptg/II on the Technics SP10, and an AT33 mono on the Sony TTS3000.
They are of course connected to the Aurora, and routed through Jriver via the LIVE IN function.

Last edited by bjarnetv; 31st October 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:13 PM   #2394
NWCgrad is offline NWCgrad  United States
diyAudio Member

Building my first pair of open baffle speakers. For testing I am starting with the following:
1) MarkAudio CHP-70-P Gen 2 Natural
2) JBL Pro PRX700 horn (4" throat)
3) 24" x 48" x .75" plywood
4) JBL Pro 2123H 10" midrange
5) Eminence Delta-10A 10"
6) JBL Pro 2226H 15"
7) Pi Speakers H290C HF horn (1" throat)
8) B&C DE250 compression

Items 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are leftovers from previous builds.

Have played around with Basta program over past few weeks, will see how models compare with reality.

I really like horns, my main home theater speakers have horn HF and Mid, crossed over to a JBL Pro 2242 18" driver for bass. Each speakers weighs around 250 lbs. The Auto-tech horns look really nice, lots of builds with them paired with Lowther drivers. Since no one in the US carries the horns I decided to use a spare JBL midhorn with an inexpensive full range driver.

Here it is so far....
Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery-20171111_131036-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171111_131036.jpg (944.4 KB, 2015 views)
Old 11th November 2017, 10:21 PM   #2395
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Gainphile, your projects were big inspiration for me too!
John Reekie, Rudolf Finke, John Kreskowitz , Siegfried Linkwitz and Jorma Salmi too of course.
AINOgradients are still going strong with minidsp and ICEPower classD
Old 26th November 2017, 11:34 PM   #2396
gainphile is offline gainphile  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great to hear bjarnetv. Gave me something to think about

Juhazi, thanks but don't tell me you haven't built anything new either

We need IDEAS it seems the OB's had been done to death now with so many commercial offerings too! A far cry in the days of Phoenix and Orions !!! Which is a good thing in its own regards
Old 27th November 2017, 02:14 AM   #2397
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ive gone back to Onkens with midrange horns, for the most part, but still prefer dipole bass.
This past weekend, I swapped out 4 Dayton RSS265HF-4 sub drivers, medium qts of 0.44, for some inexpensive GRS 10PR-8 polycones, with a 1.15 qts.
I know a higher qts should give better bass on an open baffle, but I had not expected this much.
At a lower volume setting on the plate amp, and wired for an 8 ohm load, rather than 4 ohms, even.
With the lower Qts Daytons, I could see the drivers moving a total of a half inch travel, with less audible output than the cheap GRS drivers, which barely move at higher volume levels.
What's going on? Shouldn't larger displacement play louder?
The drivers are in a u frame, 11.25" deep, 16" wide, 72" tall, with 7.25 " wide extensions on each side, making a wider baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171126_180734_crop_388x388.jpg (94.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 27th November 2017, 04:52 AM   #2398
studiotech is offline studiotech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
Ive gone back to Onkens with midrange horns, for the most part, but still prefer dipole bass.
This past weekend, I swapped out 4 Dayton RSS265HF-4 sub drivers, medium qts of 0.44, for some inexpensive GRS 10PR-8 polycones, with a 1.15 qts.
I know a higher qts should give better bass on an open baffle, but I had not expected this much.
At a lower volume setting on the plate amp, and wired for an 8 ohm load, rather than 4 ohms, even.
With the lower Qts Daytons, I could see the drivers moving a total of a half inch travel, with less audible output than the cheap GRS drivers, which barely move at higher volume levels.
What's going on? Shouldn't larger displacement play louder?
The drivers are in a u frame, 11.25" deep, 16" wide, 72" tall, with 7.25 " wide extensions on each side, making a wider baffle.
Keep listening. Once you get over the "free" extra bass provided by the high QTS drivers, you may notice that it's less defined and more one-note bassy. I certainly did and went back to a lower Q driver, but I'm only trying to get to 60Hz solid, not all the way down.

Greg
Old 27th November 2017, 06:20 AM   #2399
vemsom is offline vemsom  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Keep listening. Once you get over the "free" extra bass provided by the high QTS drivers, you may notice that it's less defined and more one-note bassy. I certainly did and went back to a lower Q driver, but I'm only trying to get to 60Hz solid, not all the way down.

Greg
I really agree with you. In my room the room gain also helps me, making low Qts go deep and with much more definition and dynamics. I'm currently using 15" PHL audio woofers with unknown TS parameters, but I presume very low Qts (for what's commonly seen as OB drivers). I'm very pleased with both sensitivity, bass output and dynamics. The membranes barely move even when I play very loud, witch I do.

Last edited by vemsom; 27th November 2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: More specs
Old 30th November 2017, 11:48 AM   #2400
fotsinijts is offline fotsinijts
diyAudio Member

I recently build these for fun, but I think they sound better than my H-frames.

Driver is a faital pro 15pr400 mounted on a steel ventilation floor piece I found. It's pretty heavy and there is not a lot of resonance of the baffle. I lasercutted a spacer so the conus doesn't hit the steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (613.9 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.JPG (148.5 KB, 326 views)

Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!