Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2017, 04:20 AM   #2301
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
I like the Alpha 8A. Pretty smooth.
I feel the mid band of the Alpha6A is better than the Alpha8A but overall the Alpha 8A sounds better because of the extended LF it has.

Like the Eminence CX10 and the CX12. The 10 sounds better in the mids than the 12 but the 12 has audibly better LF and so sounds 'fuller' . But I guess you can eq all drivers to sound similar. Wonder if the mids would sound different then ?
Old 29th May 2017, 06:45 AM   #2302
DieterK is offline DieterK  Germany
diyAudio Member

I Think the problem are the THD of the Chassis. A smaller Mid-Driver for Open-Baffle must have more Xmax. The Xmax of the Alpha6a is small for a 6-incher in Open-Baffle. So you will drive it in higher THD than a equal 8-incher as same dB. The bigger the cone the less can Xmax be. Some people like more k2 as to see in Tube-Amps. But is it what we want?

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand....
Old 17th June 2017, 02:17 PM   #2303
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WizvSy3y9gw
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:32 PM   #2304
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello all, while tuning an enclosure design, I noticed the qts. specs were very similar between a Scanspeak tweeter, a Scanspeak Revelator woofer, and some RSS 265HF-4 subdrivers.
As long as they're in free air.
The sound seems much more coherent than using unmatching qts. drivers together.
I hadn't expected qts. to matter at the 2000 hertz crossover point, but this sounds better than that woofer in a sealed box tuned to a 0.707 qts. Is this just random chance, or does qts. matter even at relatively high frequencies, compared to midbass, say @ 130 hertz?
I know, this is a gallery, but I was hoping for some advice from experienced builders.
If it's an inappropriate forum for this, I welcome advice in a pm. Thanks, all.
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:36 PM   #2305
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Probably if you start a thread you'll get a better response
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:08 AM   #2306
DieterK is offline DieterK  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
Hello all, while tuning an enclosure design, I noticed the qts. specs were very similar between a Scanspeak tweeter, a Scanspeak Revelator woofer, and some RSS 265HF-4 subdrivers.
As long as they're in free air.
The sound seems much more coherent than using unmatching qts. drivers together.
I hadn't expected qts. to matter at the 2000 hertz crossover point, but this sounds better than that woofer in a sealed box tuned to a 0.707 qts. Is this just random chance, or does qts. matter even at relatively high frequencies, compared to midbass, say @ 130 hertz?
I know, this is a gallery, but I was hoping for some advice from experienced builders.
If it's an inappropriate forum for this, I welcome advice in a pm. Thanks, all.
The Qts (and the other TSP) discribes only the behavior of a chassis at his resonace Frequency...
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:06 AM   #2307
jwicaksana is offline jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
I always thought diffraction was frequency irregularities brought on by sharp edges redirecting higher frequencies , either fr om the baffle edges, or the plates or frames of non flush mounted drivers.
I suppose the polar fleece would dampen or eliminate those shorter wave treble problems.
It would help eliminate baffle reflections as well, so that would assist with imaging .

The downside , if you like the look of it, is cats may thank you for the big noisy scratching posts .
I've finished mine, and one thing I notice is that it gets shouty when place in the room, close to the back wall. I installed some foam on that wall and that helped reduce the shoutiness. Fleece may be a good thing as well, we'll see if that is really necessary.

I built a three way with no real data or parameter, and I am now up to the point of adjusting the levels of each driver. So far it looks like the mid needs some attenuating. It sounds good for the cost. I will post some pictures.
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:51 AM   #2308
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicaksana View Post
I've finished mine, and one thing I notice is that it gets shouty when place in the room, close to the back wall. I installed some foam on that wall and that helped reduce the shoutiness. Fleece may be a good thing as well, we'll see if that is really necessary.

I built a three way with no real data or parameter, and I am now up to the point of adjusting the levels of each driver. So far it looks like the mid needs some attenuating. It sounds good for the cost. I will post some pictures.
You must measure the response. Remember that drivers like the bass and mid range could have a peak when they are coming out of the 6dB slope on the lower end of the response. The peak can cause it to sound shouty or cuppy ! If you had a frequency response on the open baffle in the place you installed it, you would have a better idea what to do with it. Attacking it blind is very difficult !
Old 3rd July 2017, 04:22 PM   #2309
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

completed my plain OB on 36mm plywood panel 32" x 46" :
- ACR 113212 21" : active xo 24dB filter.
- Fane 12-200LT : lpf 1.9mH
- Fostex FD600 & H500 : hpf 10uF
- Fostex T90a : hpf 1uf

subwoofer is powered by aragon2004 (already out of juice on bluray movie, maybe upgraded to nu3000dsp someday). while mid high is powered by SIT L'amp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170703_221134.jpg (998.9 KB, 917 views)
Old 4th July 2017, 05:33 AM   #2310
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

These are mine.

They are stone laminated. It's 6mm of a stone called Blue Barracuda, 6mm of honeycombed aluminium, 18mm of plywood, 6mm alu and 6mm stone for the backside as well. Keeps the whole thing well damped, and they weight about 22kg each.

Very pleased with the looks.

I'm using active filters with a miniDSP HD for the XO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg semifinal1.jpg (921.5 KB, 871 views)
File Type: jpg semifinal2.jpg (642.0 KB, 820 views)
File Type: jpg semifinal3.jpg (631.0 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg semifinal4.jpg (919.8 KB, 770 views)

Last edited by perceval; 4th July 2017 at 05:36 AM.

Ultimate Open Baffle GalleryHide this!Advertise here!