Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

CJ, that looks like an excellent candidate for Orion 5 !

Or NaO 2 ?

:cool:

What is your listening impression and do you have plots?
Gainphile,

I'm new at measuring, yet I do have a calibrated mic and have a demo version of FuzzMeasure. Here is my "clone" measured at 1 meter between mid and tweeter for 4 ms. Room is small, so ignore the lower stuff:

10fccb00.png

Sometime over the holidays I'll build a turntable, though I have no reason to believe my off axis measurements at 120 hz and up would differ that much from JohnK's (o.k., I have lofty goals). Regarding my listening impressions, now that's a very slippery slope I don't want to go down. I'll just say that the after auditioning Roger Waters's Amused to Death cd, I want to know how they can make sounds come from behind you when you're listening in stereo?

Cj

Not as nice looking as alot of these posted (This was really my first woodworking project, and first time veneering)

DSC01950.jpg

(20-350Hz) DIYMA R12 in sealed .82cf, 1.5" thick MDF, covered with cherry veneer (I absolutely love the sound of this driver)

Top portion is 3/4" red oak with cherry veneer only on the front face.

(350-3khz) Peerless 830883 (may change to a SS 18W/8531G)

(3Khz up) Vifa XT25 neo (temporary, final is SS 3004/6620, crossover will move down to 1800hz)

Crossover is in the small silver faced box in the background using two miniDSPs (these are great), along with 3x PGA2311s for volume control.

I have owned Polk RT55i's, LSI9's, B&W 601S3's, and B&W 703's, I am much happier with the sound of these than I have been with any other speaker.

Very good looking speakers I am sure they sound very good as well. Looks like if you know what to do you can design and build speakers that will rival or better than commercial speakers. Congras, BTW your sealed subwoofer what is -3db freq can you get from this woofer and enclosure size?

Very good looking speakers I am sure they sound very good as well. Looks like if you know what to do you can design and build speakers that will rival or better than commercial speakers. Congras, BTW your sealed subwoofer what is -3db freq can you get from this woofer and enclosure size?

The DIYMA R12 was designed specifically for small sealed enclosures, specs are:

Fs: 25.21 Hz
Qms: 4.748
Vas: 41.71 L
Cms: 121.9 um/N
Mms: 326.8 g
Rms: 10.91 mohms
Xmax: 23 mm
Xmec: 32 mm
Dia: 25 cm
Sd: 491 sq. cm.
Vd: 1.129 L
Qes: 0.383
Re: 3.6 ohms
Le: 1.319 mH
Z: 4 ohms
BL: 22.07 N/A / Tm
Pe: 1000w (up to)
Qts: 0.354
no: 0.169
SPL: 84.3 1W/1m
SPL: 87.89 2.8V/1m

Theoretically with the fill in my box the QTC is .57 giving it a f3 of 52hz. I used the MiniDSPs to boost the low end according to the modeled response, making it flat to 20Hz.

In the future I will pick up some testing equipment as all of my equalization was done based on calculations for the initial settings and listening tests for the final tweaking. I am very happy with their sound but would like to see how they actually measure.

Yes, Amused to Death was one of the first commercial productions to use a process called "Q-sound" during the mixing process. Allows for almost 360 deg effects with proper system set-up from only 2 channels. Basically just interchannel phase trickery, but quite effective if used properly in the studio.

Greg - Phat Planet Recording Studios - Orlando Florida - Audiophile Quality Recording, Mixing, Mastering, Production

Thanks Rudolf and Greg,

And here I was thinking the superior in room power response was providing me the illusion of 3d sound. That dang thunder on track 13 went from overhead to rolling overhead and behind with my new speakers, didn't even move my head. ;)

Drivers used; Neo3-PDRW (dipole), SS10F, SS8545, Aura NS12.

Cj

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks Rudolf and Greg,

And here I was thinking the superior in room power response was providing me the illusion of 3d sound. That dang thunder on track 13 went from overhead to rolling overhead and behind with my new speakers, didn't even move my head. ;)

Drivers used; Neo3-PDRW (dipole), SS10F, SS8545, Aura NS12.

Cj

When you want to hide under the couch with the pets Ya know Ya have one buttkicking speaker system!!!!

..and here is a nice "little" :p present from Troels this Christmas:

OBL11

..and the subjective description write-up has one of the best lines I've read in a while:

"..From a visitor hearing the prototype OBL-11s, I can report that these 15" Eminence DeltaLites beat the crap out of Eminence Alpha 15A.."

Attachments

• intro-1-large.jpg
    intro-1-large.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 3,328
Last edited:
Nice :D

How I wish I can get that kind of plywood locally, sigh~

Deltalite-II 2515 has 4.8mm of Xmax. In his measurements, it looked well under 40Hz or so. (I think the big baffle helps quite some.)

Kappakite 3515LF got 9.6mm of Xmax, might be good for louder and deeper. I'm wondering if anyone tried it. (I don't remember any comment of this woofer used on OB... )