Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Having seen Nelson Pass’ second take on his slot loaded open baffle, I decided to just leave the gap because its dimensions matched a 1/3 Sd slot opening for the AE dipole 18 drivers I had.

Brilliant. Smart way to fit a big woofer in. Like this?

1655990315746.png

Subwoofer Qualification Formulae For Downfiring Configurations

https://www.parts-express.com/woofer-mount-up-down
As a general rule of thumb, any time the sag exceeds 5% of the driver's Xmax, it's not recommended for a down-firing subwoofer application.

Percentage of Sag = 24,849 / ( Xmax × Fs²)
AE dipole 18 = 3.2%

Looks good. Do you still have the AE Dipole 18?

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yup…actually 4 of them 😁😁😁…

NO, I’m not rich or a brand snob…I’m a cheapskate.

I happen to be in the right place at the right time and scored them all used for the price of one new unit!

“It was an offer I couldn’t refuse.🤨

I recently had to send one for a recone and just got it back.
Hope to have them up and running with the Tannoy DC. ✌️

Reactions: 1 users
@zmyrna very good point ;) It's doable on passive crossover but you miss some sensitivity and you have to have good amplifier to handle 2 Ohms impedance in this area. Anyway as you said active / DSP crossover in OB design is needed. I would say it's easy way.

@diyiggy
KEF LS50 meta is best engineered loudspeakers to me.
If I do not consider the bass then it's not huge difference.
Mids and vocals sounds similar. Vocals is clear no resonances no boomy.Non-tiring sounds for long listening. Same the highs.
Biggest change is in sound stage. Booth speakers disappear in the room. But from OB the front wall disappear and sound stage is more depth.
Of course the bass is different story 15" OB vs 5" ported.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Subwoofer
Celestion FTR15-3070C
Woofer low midrange driver
Sonido SCW 400
Mid - high range wood horn and compression driver
LMH sTrak 40 cm with Eighteensound NSD 1480N 1.4 inch driver
Plate amp
Hypex FA123
SW
20 Hz HP BW3
85 Hz TP BW2
Delay 501 uS
Gain +7.5 dB
W
20 Hz HP BW3
440 Hz TP BW3
Delay 501 uS
Gain 0 dB
MH
800 Hz HP BW1
PEQ 1200 Hz Q=0.6 A=-4.5dB
PEQ 4000 Hz Q=1.2 A=-1,5dB
Delay 0 uS
Gain -7.5 dB
Visaton BoxSim simulation with imported CLIO pocket measurement for the wood horn driver combination
OB-BoxSim-SPL-Capture.JPG

Sketch of open baffle construction
OB-BoxSim-Gehäuse-Capture.JPG

CLIO measurements wood horn
Holzhorn-Impedanz-Capture.JPG
Holzhorn-Impedanz-Phase-Capture.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there, it is historical. The driver has been chosen without the initial purpose to use it in an open baffle project. This chassis is the 15 inch bass with the lowest distortion available in the midrange for a decent price beside some very expensive special purpose chassis like the woofer of Acoustic Elegance like this here AE DIPOLE 15. From a PA use perspective it is more a midrange driver with a very good kick bass down under no more than 80 Hz. The Sonido SCW400 woofer is probably even less suited for open baffle use, i have these woofer since a couple of years, Sonido do not sell it anymore. The Sonido chassis are known for their vintage behavior like Saba cones with very low Rms (very low value for mechanical losses of the mass-spring system) of the values good for low listening sound pressure levels. In the final version i will use two of those Celestion 15 inch woofer in the subwoofer segment of a segmented baffle like this one:
OB-SW-segment-Capture.JPG

With the active crossover with PEQ approach you do not have serious problems to get low frequency sound pressure out of a bass chassis beside some efficiency issues, i have to equalize more to get out more sound pressure than with a special purpose open baffle woofer. Many people says that the so called special purpose open baffle woofer are low cost castrated woofer with a far too small voice coil diameter and a low cost mini size magnet like this woofer here:
LAVOCE WSF152.02

Last edited by a moderator:
In the final version of the open baffle the project will be 4 way with 2 Celestion 15 inch as subwoofer and this chassis here for the 3 octaves for the kick bass from 110 Hz to 440 Hz:
OB-kick-bass-1-Capture.JPG

OB-kick-bass-2-Capture.JPG

this vintage style 12 inch Sonido custom driver with no whizzer cone have a Qms=17,8 value and the lowest Rms value i have ever seen for a 12 inch bass
I use them now in my open baffle light test construction here:
OB-Light-offene-Küche-Capture.JPG

the segment of the baffle will be this one, wood parts are in delivery:
OB-kick-bass-segment-Capture.JPG

The older chassis had even more closed (no ventilation in the coil area) chassis like this here, 10 inch vintage style custom driver with no whizzer cone
Sonido-10inch-custom-Capture.JPG

the new loudspeaker baskets are 3rd party i guess from China the old baskets has been made in Hungary and have an ancient sandcasting look

just want to come up with a little tip, if you are going to buy new elements and price plays a role, have been playing on these for 3 months now and this is good dipole 15 for little money,
not comparable to AE,I think fantastic on deepest bass, but they are very expensive.
even a fraction of the price, SB Acoustics,15" Bianco-15OB350