OB with AE IB15

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wingfeather said:

I just want to say that if this pans out, it'll be some of the most welcome news in recent times :D

We'll see how things work out. Hopefully it will come together. The hard part is going to be making it so the pricing comes out less than paying for shipping from the US. For example, you can import the USA made BMW X5 to europe yourself for quite a bit less than you'd buy one from the dealership over there if you do the work yourself. With the current exchange rate being so horrible on our end and good from the European end, that may still be the case with our products as well.

I'd guess that 60% of our drivers lately have shipped outside the US, mainly to Europe. Most people who have ordered consider our drivers to be extremely cheap in comparison to drivers like the TAD 15's they often use in the range close to $1000 each. Our shipping rates with BAX/Schenker are also very good compared to UPS or even postal service rates. We've been able to ship a pair of TD woofers, 28lbs each, to many places in Europe for about $180 total in 3-5 days. UPS would be $300+ per each woofer. Postal service is typically $150+ per woofer.

So for a pair of TD15's you'd pay about 444EUR to your door, plus whatever import duties your country has. Four IB15's would be right around 405EUR including the shipping from recent quotes

I'm going to put up a thread on our forum with a bunch of recent international shipment costs just so people can get an idea of what they might pay.

John

I would really like to see some OB specific designs from AE speakers.

What I would like to see is an 18-19" driver with a QTS=1.0 and with the highest sensitivity possible.

MJK's paper on passive OB speakers is a very good simple approach (i.e. an approach that could be reproduced by many potential costumers). Benefits: less drivers (less $), smaller baffle, no electronic XO complications, no multi amp, etc).

Now for a true high efficiency system, which I would say is a 96 dB/W, one would need around 105 dB for the woofer.

Nick could tell us if this is doable.

The problem is that high Qts and high efficiency are somewhat of an inverse relationship. You can get high efficiency with low mass and high motor strength. The problem is those 2 things also give you a low Qts. Low motor strength will give you a high Q, but also gives low efficiency. It's for that reason that the Dipole15 was designed with the Q of .94 and lower efficiency, but intended to be used in multiples. That is really the only way to gain back the efficiency and still end up with the Q you want.

John

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
John_E_Janowitz said:

Our shipping rates with BAX/Schenker are also very good compared to UPS or even postal service rates. We've been able to ship a pair of TD woofers, 28lbs each, to many places in Europe for about $180 total in 3-5 days. UPS would be $300+ per each woofer. Postal service is typically $150+ per woofer.

So for a pair of TD15's you'd pay about 444EUR to your door, plus whatever import duties your country has. Four IB15's would be right around 405EUR including the shipping from recent quotes

John

I suppose that abowe a certain amount and weight it would make sense to ship on a pallet or small "container" ?

John_E_Janowitz said:

Our shipping rates with BAX/Schenker are also very good compared to UPS or even postal service rates. We've been able to ship a pair of TD woofers, 28lbs each, to many places in Europe for about $180 total in 3-5 days. UPS would be $300+ per each woofer. Postal service is typically $150+ per woofer.

John

Unfortunately BAX is cheap upfront but expensive at the end and cause me more work. The local BAX charge me a separate handling fee. They are used mainly by import/export company and there a minimum set fee for anything that pass through their hand. On top of that, they asking for import document & customs clearance. Since I have none, they charge a separate fee for doing the paper work - $$. Something that is not require if it was send though USPS or courier company. A bad experience for a single 10" Lambda sub. Although it was many years ago, I rather stick with USPS.

We have shipped hundreds of packages outside the US with BAX/Schenker this year. So far there has been only one case where anyone was unhappy with the charges. BAX/Schenker does ship door to airport or door to door option and we typically quote both. In some cases there is a huge difference and it makes much more sense to pick up the packages at the airport. In other cases delivery to the door is a good option.

As far as documentation goes, we need to ship every package with 5 copies of the commercial invoice and that is all that should be needed. The HS code for "loudspeaker components" is listed on the airbill so they know what to charge for VAT.

Charges that are included are the VAT, which your country will charge regardless of who ships the product. We provide invoices without the shipping fees added so they typically will then not charge VAT on the freight cost. VAT is by far the highest fee as some countries charge as much as 25%. You'll have to check your government regulations for this. In the US here when importing parts from china, I pay something like 5% only. As long as you get to the airport within a day of BAX informing you the packages are there, you can clear the packages through customs yourself so you save their fee for that and also save any storage fees. I'll check with a few others who have received drivers in Europe lately and see what their total charges came out to be.

John

Thanks, yes I have heard about companies charging a beefy fee just to hand out the goods ... we are only just hostices in that case, unfortunately, no pay no goods
Well, I had bad experience bec of my expectations. They are a freight company like P&O and it is different dealing compare to courier company or post office. If you getting a few pair of drivers the fee may turn out to be cheap but for me with a single driver , it become expensive. If you are aware about the extra charges, paper work and maybe run around, it might not be as bad.

John_E_Janowitz said:
Charges that are included are the VAT, which your country will charge regardless of who ships the product. We provide invoices without the shipping fees added so they typically will then not charge VAT on the freight cost. VAT is by far the highest fee as some countries charge as much as 25%. You'll have to check your government regulations for this. In the US here when importing parts from china, I pay something like 5% only.
Other than VAT, aren't there also import tax? Over here we need to pay tax on curtain goods unless there a free trade agreement between the two country. I have 50/50 chance of not paying anything if the good is coming through USPS or courier. Unlikely if using BAX.

Finally got things finalized on this OB12 for Saurav. The end result with soft dustcap and more damping on the surround is quite good. Here is the close mic response:

OB12-close-mic.PNG

The Yellow curve is what we're looking at here and in reality we are +/- 2dB from 200hz to nearly 1500hz. I have to time gate to cut below 200hz or we get more of the diffraction off the baffle edge and the floor interaction coming in which is seen in the red curve. Wish I had a big anechoic chamber. These have the soft cloth dustcap which eliminates any harsh breakup. The bumps in the 1500-2500hz range are the extent of any dustcap breakup. No huge spikes or peaks in the region. Very easy to work with.

All in all, this OB12 or the OB15 should be a great driver for those wanting to go up to 500hz and as high as 1000hz in an OB with a little more efficiency and smoother response than the IB15's.

Here are the 12" parameters:

Fs: 28hz
Qms: 4.36
Vas: 129L
Cms: .35mm/N
Mms: 94g
Rms: 3.8
Xmax: 18mm
Xmech: 20mm
Sd: 510sqcm
Qes: .53
Re: 5.5 ohm
Le: .3mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 12.9
Qts: .47
1wspl: 89.2dB
2.83V: 91dB

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.