Smaller Heil tweeters, are they worthwhile?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am seeking for a pair of these marvellous products, but since it seems that the Great Heil are out of my reach (even used they cost a lot), I was thinking about purchasing one of the smaller versions.

Unfortunately specs are hardly available, is there a way to see the usable crossover frequency for these tweeters?

Does anybody have a pair to sell me?

Cheers

Andrea

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Andrea you might want to try E-bay I have seen them on there. You might want to check out some other manufacturers for ribbon tweeters. The Heils were not the best put together tweeters. I use to sell them. The replacemnet diaphrams will also become hard to get. Also I think you would have to cross them over fairly high even though they did have a 10" 2way design.

I have 4 amt monitors and I have been playing around with several ribbons; HiVi RT2-C, Dayton PT2, Neo3PDR/FP and the NEO8PDR. The HiVi I have in a center channel with the AMTs as the L/R this is a good combination, but you must cross the HiVi above 2K. I am in the process of designing a MMT with the NEO3 PDRFP. I tested the NEO3PDR in a dipole and could not hope to get a flat response so I ordered the face plate kit. This should make them a little flater. I also tested the NEO8PDR and came to the same conclusion so using it as a single tweeter is on hold till I can design a rear enclosesure to flatten te response. I havent tested the PT2 but it looks like a cheaper cousin of the RT2-C
Here is a spl file I have on the RT2-C

Attachments

• rt2-c.jpg
    rt2-c.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 423
MES said:
I have 4 amt monitors and I have been playing around with several ribbons; HiVi RT2-C, Dayton PT2, Neo3PDR/FP and the NEO8PDR. The HiVi I have in a center channel with the AMTs as the L/R this is a good combination, but you must cross the HiVi above 2K. I am in the process of designing a MMT with the NEO3 PDRFP. I tested the NEO3PDR in a dipole and could not hope to get a flat response so I ordered the face plate kit. This should make them a little flater. I also tested the NEO8PDR and came to the same conclusion so using it as a single tweeter is on hold till I can design a rear enclosesure to flatten te response. I havent tested the PT2 but it looks like a cheaper cousin of the RT2-C
Here is a spl file I have on the RT2-C

So, in you opinion, are these tweeters comparable to the air motion transformers or not?
Anyway, if you don't need some ribbons or amts anymore ;)
we might have a trade...

Cheers

Andrea

Andypairo said:
I always read great things about these tweeters, they are not just ribbons, Air Motion Transformer goes a step forward (or at least it seems..)..
Anyway do you have suggestions for substitutes?

Also have a look at the Eton ER4:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.etongmbh.com/home/er4.htm

But still these cost a lot :bawling:

So, in you opinion, are these tweeters comparable to the air motion transformers or not?

YES!, they have a folded element just like The AMTs. They use neodinium magnets. They do not have an open back, dipole configuration though. They even have a similiar response curve, though I didn't post the AMT, as the file is on my dedecated Clio pc and not on this pc. They do not have the power handling and they will not go as low. I think most of this type of tweeter will sound similiar because of the way they work ie the voice coil is the driver cone.

Anyway, if you don't need some ribbons or amts anymore

No, I have plans for these, but I did see several on ebay you might want to check ebay out :idea:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.