Best X-Over Componets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mason, the most expensive crossover components are not necessarily the best. Maybe I’m deaf, but I find it hard to differentiate between some $10 caps and $500 caps. In your search for sonic euphoria you may well find that you prefer the sound of some of the cheaper components. Remember “The Kings New Clothes”, just make sure that they are of good quality (reputable brand) and can handle the PEAK voltages and currents.

Regards WALKER

PS I’m ready and accept what follows.

Cheap caps for prototypes

Go to an electronic motor repair shop and get some used high voltage oil and paper caps that are used on electric motors. These are great for making prototypes, sound good too. I get them cheap. Maybe you can too. Problem is that they are BIG and not really good for going inside of speaker cabinets. I have used some of the smaller old ones called bath tubs inside cabinets and they work fine. Just as important as your caps is the wire you use, the solder, the resistors and chokes. I am still learning about this myself so I keep on the KISS level. Keep IT Simple Stupid. Try and not spend to much money on bits and pieces till you know they are the correct ones. Once you have your design done then start getting more expensive or higher quality(not always the same thing) parts and listen. A lot of things do have a break in period, so don't toss something after just 10 minutes. Have fun.

[Edited by Thatch_Ear on 11-28-2001 at 07:34 PM]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.