enclosure recommendation for tempest sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've decided to build a sub with the 15" tempest driver from adire. I noticed they have several suggested designs on their web site but could use a little advice from anyone who has heard any of them. The sub will be used for HT - 30% and rock/acoustic music - 70%. I would like it to be deep and loud for HT but also tight and concise when listening to music. Should I go with a sealed or vented enclosure, and which size (there are 3 for each) would be best? If possible I would like to keep the external width and depth 20" or less.

I built a Tempest sub, sealed. I think you're safe with any of the Adire alignments, really (or else they wouldn't be called white papers) :) Mine is similar to the Q=0.7 design, except slightly larger at a 24" cube. I did this because I wanted the "natural" sound, but the low Q design was simply too big for my living room (and it only used 1 sheet of 1" MDF). I use mine for HT mostly, and I'm very happy with it. I have it crossed over in the receiver at 60 Hz.

Sub Enclosures

Dear Supes, Hi! I think that you must first decide which is more important, deep and LOUD or deep, CLEAR & ACCURATE? Not that they are truly or necessarily mutually exclusive, BUT, I have yet to hear a ported sub that was extremely well defined or a sealed sub that could play as loud as aported design, with either operating in an AVERAGE size room with an AVERAGE power amp(100 - 200WRMS@8ohms).
SUGGESTION?!! You might want to explore the NHT1259 12" woofer. It will do a GREAT job in a 2 or 3 CF(59 - 85 litre) SEALED box because of its great suspension and its efficiency of about 89db/1w/1M.

Also look at the SHIVA by AdireAudio and the Peerless 830500 12 inch woofers. I personally LOVE the Peerless woofers, as I think they represent perhaps the absolute best VALUE proposition on the market in quality woofers. Also worthy of consideration are the Swan woofers. Most can be speced out at www.madisound.com(great speaker driver site!)

Good Luck!

:bulb: Stan

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I am pretty set on using the tempest, since it is only about $25 more than the shiva, and both seem to get great reviews. I've never really owned a sub so even if the sealed design isn't quite as loud I probably won't be missing anything.

I built a dual sealed and vented. How? I can cap the port (airtight). That way I get the best of both worlds.

I must admit, due to the room gain it sounds much the same both ways for me. I've been forced to stuff the sub in the corner (WAF). Either way it is loud and clean (Q ~0.56)

Mine is a Shiva (baby tempest) powered by 300 watts, box tuned to 22Hz (net volume = 141 Litres or about 5 cubic feet. Too much power for that woofer if you ask me).

You could also look at Stryke's drivers. They have a great xmax. There is also Blueprint as well.

I'm happy with my Shiva. The tempest should do you well. Just mate it with at least a 250 watt amp.

My only advice.... make sure you build a strong box that is airtight, no rattles and heavily braced. If you've done it right - you will need 2 people to pick it up when finished :nod:

Dave.

jbandpc

No, no your optimum crossover frequency depends on a whole bunch of stuff: your speaker response; your sub response; room dynamics; crossover type (slope), etc. I just wanted to give supes an idea of my setup to qualify what I was recommending. In my case, 60 Hz comes from having a 68 Hz -3dB point on my speakers and a 2nd order crossover in the surround receiver.

I'm sure you can search some threads on the subject here. There's a pretty good writeup on the subject at diysubwoofers.org also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.