crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Further to my posting of the other day requesting information on organisations selling crossovers to which andrewt kindly gave me the names of falcon acoustics and wilmslow audio. Unfortunately it appears neither supply 4 way crossovers. If anyone can help me in my search i would be appeciative. They are for use in a mega transmission line which i am building.

When I read your previous post I thought you were looking for a replacement XO for a vintage speaker. If you are buidling a new speaker, an off the shelf XO will not give good results. A proper XO is designed for the exact drivers and baffle of your speaker.

An off the shelf XO, especially a 4 way would most likely sound terrible.

Regards,

Dennis

Thank you for your interest Dennis, what i should have explained more clearly is that i am building an exact replica of the hi-fi answers tansmission line speaker circa early seventies with the difference that i have doubled the width dimensions to accomodate an extra set of speakers, ie 8 per box. It is my belief that various speakers had this type of arrangement and that proprietry crossovers are still available. I am tryng to find a source of these or anyone that may have a speaker that they have upgraded but still have the original crossover. Any assistance would be appreciated.

an exact replica of the hi-fi answers tansmission line speaker circa early seventies with the difference that i have doubled the width dimensions to accomodate an extra set of speakers, ie 8 per box

Does that mean you are using 2 separate sets of 4-way crossovers and 2 separate sets of drivers within the same double size box? If so - you can use the same crossovers. If not, changing impedance alone (by doubling drivers whether by series or parallel connections) will render the original 4-way crossover useless as the impedance change will affect where the crossover "applies".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.