Drivers to mate with horn compressions driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2008
Re: Which CD's and horn combinations......

chrismercurio said:
do you recommend pairing with the TD15m? This is directed toward Nick or anyone who has used the driver.

Chris I have been away for a few years so I don't know all the recent advancements. The 15" mouth straight wall horn I made works great for pro audio usage with it, but its not "Audiophile" perfect in the crossover region (though to be honest I haven't spent that much time on it) This is a design I will be working more on in the coming months.

I built a pair once with Tannoy 12" coaxials on top and that was really nice sounding. I like how the Tannoy integrated.

My current thoughts are to make a larger mouth version for the TAD2001 driver and see how much lower I can get the xover point with that driver. The real problem with horns is that you can take the same horn and use 3 different compression drivers and get 3 totally different responses. If you find a compression driver that mates perfectly then you are lucky (there are so many to choose from) The first version of the Unity (of which my horn shape is patterned after) used Radian drivers. Something became an issue with Radian so Tom Danley tested a specific B&C. Low and behold it acted like it was custom tailored for the horn. Incredibly flat with little EQ needed to account for the elevated LF. The TAD does some good stuff on it as well but I never put much time into it (I have a pair in boxes thankfully with spare diaphragms.)

I learned I like an equal off axis response and there are very few options out there for that, so that is where I will be concentrating my higher frequency efforts. If the answer sounds a bit like "I don't know the best ones at the moment but I am working on it" then you understand ;)

Nick, which B&C?
When my current project is finished, I want to take some time to try my own Unity based upon some ideas I have (based upon a ton of hints Tom has given over the years) and some measurements given to me of your old design to use as a basis to experiment from.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.