$1000 2-Way Recommendation? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
jeffx is offline jeffx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default $1000 2-Way Recommendation?

I recently completed Troels PMS speakers, which are great, and I have the bug to build another pair of speakers. This time I would like to try a high quality 2-way. Budget is around $1000 for the drivers and XO components. It needs to be fully documented. My room is approx 16 x 20 x 8 and I have the choice of 150 wpc solid state or 8wpc 300B based amps.

I was thinking of maybe Troels JA8008. Has anybody heard these? Or Zaph's ZD5s. Would these work in my room? I set my speakers towards the center of the room, not in the corners or back wall.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th May 2008, 12:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

high efficiency speaker with a budget of us$1000,00
high efficiency speaker with a budget of us$1000,00
Check and say if that is anyting with you.
Old 16th May 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default This should fit the bill

This is the best 2-way I've ever heard, hands down. The documentation is excellent, too.

http://www.ellisaudio.com/1801.htm
Old 16th May 2008, 08:28 PM   #4
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: $1000 2-Way Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffx
Or Zaph's ZD5s. Would these work in my room?
Don't know helpful my post can be but Zaph is planing in the next few months to release an updated version of the ZD5 and possibly in a translam curved enclosure. When exactly and how many months... only Zaph might know. And I say "might" because he never imposes a deadline on himself... why should he... It's a hobby.

Peter
Old 16th May 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: $1000 2-Way Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_m
... It's a hobby.

Peter
Please Peter... speak for yourself.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: This should fit the bill

Quote:
Originally posted by Undefinition
This is the best 2-way I've ever heard, hands down. The documentation is excellent, too.

http://www.ellisaudio.com/1801.htm
I agree, build one air but the "b" model is discontinued and the "c" pending completion.
Old 17th May 2008, 03:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just finished a pair of ZD5's and am very impressed with the results. The other good thing about this design is that the drivers, particularily the scanspeak 15W's, come up used all the time. I picked up a brand new pair for $300, and a used pair for $225. The ellis audio one looks really nice to, i've read a lot of good things about that hiquphon tweeter aswell, can't lose either way me thinks
Old 17th May 2008, 04:00 AM   #8
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

jeffx, what do you think of your PMS? pics, reviews? i assume you mean poor man's strad.

blue934
Old 17th May 2008, 06:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: This should fit the bill

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhub

I agree, build one air but the "b" model is discontinued and the "c" pending completion.
Yeah, I just noticed that. I heard both the b and c version at Iowa DIY (they were narrow floorstanders, though, not the bookshelf design you see on the website). I'm not sure why Dave felt like he had to put all his eggs in one basket switching from the Excel woofer to the Accuton. Why he couldn't just have two versions, I'm not sure. Or, if he is serious about the Accuton version, then it'd be nice if he could be a pal and make the XO for the b version public domain. Anyway, both designs sounded excellent, and blindfolded, I'm not sure I could tell that someone switched the speaker out on me (I was sitting next to Dennis Murphy listening to them, and he said he basically agreed, though later on, I believe he said he preferred the Accuton version)

Sorry to confuse things. I was only trying to help out. But while I'm suggesting, and slightly on-topic, you might want to check out murphyblaster.com for designs, as I've never heard a design by him that wasn't frighteningly good.
Old 17th May 2008, 09:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: $1000 2-Way Recommendation?

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffx
I recently completed Troels PMS speakers, which are great, and I have the bug to build another pair of speakers. This time I would like to try a high quality 2-way. It needs to be fully documented. My room is approx 16 x 20 x 8 and I have the choice of 150 wpc solid state or 8wpc 300B based amps.

I was thinking of maybe Troels JA8008. Or Zaph's ZD5s. I set my speakers towards the center of the room, not in the corners or back wall.

Thanks in advance!
Stop with paper drivers, go to stiff cone types and give a chance to this one:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cup-a-Soup.html

Hide this!Advertise here!