$1000 2-Way Recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently completed Troels PMS speakers, which are great, and I have the bug to build another pair of speakers. This time I would like to try a high quality 2-way. Budget is around $1000 for the drivers and XO components. It needs to be fully documented. My room is approx 16 x 20 x 8 and I have the choice of 150 wpc solid state or 8wpc 300B based amps.

I was thinking of maybe Troels JA8008. Has anybody heard these? Or Zaph's ZD5s. Would these work in my room? I set my speakers towards the center of the room, not in the corners or back wall.

Thanks in advance!

jeffx said:
Or Zaph's ZD5s. Would these work in my room?

Don't know helpful my post can be but Zaph is planing in the next few months to release an updated version of the ZD5 and possibly in a translam curved enclosure. When exactly and how many months... only Zaph might know. And I say "might" because he never imposes a deadline on himself... why should he... It's a hobby.

Peter

Just finished a pair of ZD5's and am very impressed with the results. The other good thing about this design is that the drivers, particularily the scanspeak 15W's, come up used all the time. I picked up a brand new pair for $300, and a used pair for $225. The ellis audio one looks really nice to, i've read a lot of good things about that hiquphon tweeter aswell, can't lose either way me thinks;)

Re: Re: This should fit the bill

crazyhub said:

I agree, build one air but the "b" model is discontinued and the "c" pending completion.
Yeah, I just noticed that. I heard both the b and c version at Iowa DIY (they were narrow floorstanders, though, not the bookshelf design you see on the website). I'm not sure why Dave felt like he had to put all his eggs in one basket switching from the Excel woofer to the Accuton. Why he couldn't just have two versions, I'm not sure. Or, if he is serious about the Accuton version, then it'd be nice if he could be a pal and make the XO for the b version public domain. Anyway, both designs sounded excellent, and blindfolded, I'm not sure I could tell that someone switched the speaker out on me (I was sitting next to Dennis Murphy listening to them, and he said he basically agreed, though later on, I believe he said he preferred the Accuton version)

Sorry to confuse things. I was only trying to help out. But while I'm suggesting, and slightly on-topic, you might want to check out murphyblaster.com for designs, as I've never heard a design by him that wasn't frighteningly good.

jeffx said:
I recently completed Troels PMS speakers, which are great, and I have the bug to build another pair of speakers. This time I would like to try a high quality 2-way. It needs to be fully documented. My room is approx 16 x 20 x 8 and I have the choice of 150 wpc solid state or 8wpc 300B based amps.

I was thinking of maybe Troels JA8008. Or Zaph's ZD5s. I set my speakers towards the center of the room, not in the corners or back wall.

Thanks in advance!
Stop with paper drivers, go to stiff cone types and give a chance to this one:
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cup-a-Soup.html

;)

Re: Re: Re: This should fit the bill

Undefinition said:

Yeah, I just noticed that. I heard both the b and c version at Iowa DIY (they were narrow floorstanders, though, not the bookshelf design you see on the website). I'm not sure why Dave felt like he had to put all his eggs in one basket switching from the Excel woofer to the Accuton. Why he couldn't just have two versions, I'm not sure. Or, if he is serious about the Accuton version, then it'd be nice if he could be a pal and make the XO for the b version public domain. Anyway, both designs sounded excellent, and blindfolded, I'm not sure I could tell that someone switched the speaker out on me (I was sitting next to Dennis Murphy listening to them, and he said he basically agreed, though later on, I believe he said he preferred the Accuton version)

Sorry to confuse things. I was only trying to help out. But while I'm suggesting, and slightly on-topic, you might want to check out murphyblaster.com for designs, as I've never heard a design by him that wasn't frighteningly good.

The later versions of the Seas W18 woofer in the 1801 B have changed enough in frequency reponse that a XO re-design would be needed. Personally, when I heard them at DIY Iowa I preferred the B version over the C (and that probably had more to do with the voicing than the drivers) but both sounded very good. Not to mention Dave is a great guy.

Regards,

Dennis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $1000 2-Way Recommendation?

Inductor said:

Sorry 454Casull, that's Peter answer. Not wanting to be rude (getting to much personal or not answering you) I would say; I am he as you are me and you are he and we are all together...

If it was my answer and are unwilling to explain it to others that can read it in this forum, why didn't you send it in a private message?

Also what does this mean? "I would say; I am he as you are me and you are he and we are all together... " Or is it also not meant for anyone but 454Casull????

You're a funny guy Inductor but not in the sense that makes anyone laugh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.