Speaker help - advice with new speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

Please excuse my intrusion into your forum, I am usually to be found in the 'tube' section.

Let me begin with the disclaimer that I am relatively speaker illiterate. I am currently looking at building a 300b amplifier and I will have to upgrade my speakers which have a relatively low sensitivity but are fine for my PP KT88 and EL34 amps.

I am looking at a sensitivity of at least 95db but higher would be better, maybe 97db.

Can anyone offer advice, I am hoping to keep the cost down to below $3000 (if this is possible) and would prefer an 'off the shelf' speaker as I have my hands full finding time to make amplifiers.

I listen to jazz mainly but also appreciate contemporary rock.

I am particularly interested in Australian suppliers if someone can recommend a dealer - I live in Sydney.

I appreciate that this is a mundane question over here but I am sure that you guys will have all the answrs,

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Give a look at the $1000 speakers threads on this forum. And you can choose the most expensive ones (over $1000) or upgrade from there. Also you can ask for postage for flat pack kits from US or wait that some other guys from Australia give you some feedback here (they are all around).

As you aware I am from Melb., AFAIK I don't any suppliers that supply high effciencies speakers, there must be a few around(Not DIYers) but I strongly suspect most if not all of them >$3,000.

I build my own and they are not expensive < $1,000 a pair and sound very good(to me) as well.

I will direct you to a few sites that will provide kits of very high quality. The owners/designers are proud of their speakers are keen to help you.

Gedlee's new DIY kit >=95db

http://www.gedlee.com/

Wayne from Pi speakers kits >= 95dB

http://www.pispeakers.com/

talk to them you will find something that will fit your requirements.

happy hunting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.