Tang Band W6-1721 6-1/2" Underhung Midbass Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I would point out this new driver, as it is the first time I have noticed it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

According to the Parts Express blurb:

The W6-1721 6" midbass features a long throw, underhung 1-1/2" voice coil driven by a massive 50 oz. ferrite magnet. A shorting ring on the polepiece is responsible for the speaker's extremely low levels of second and third order harmonic distortion. This impressive motor is coupled to an optimized paper cone with rubber surround, supported by a cast aluminum frame. The driver's naturally high and smooth upper frequency rolloff facilitates simplified crossover designs.

Specifications: Power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency range: 40-5,000 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 88 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 1.04 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.58 *Qes: .49 *Qts: .43 *Xmax: 8 mm *Dimensions: A: 6.95", B: 5.8", C: 4.3".

Looks fairly nice for $52.

Regards,
David

TL Design?

I've been kicking around ideas for a 2 way TL design on reasonably inexpensive drivers, and I happened on the W6-1721 on the PE site..

Looks nice, but I dont have any experience with TB drivers and from what I read their advertised specs tend to be 'optimistic?
Anyone have any advice to share on this driver or on TB drivers in general?

I'd also be interested in a tweeter recommendatation to pair with this driver if anyone has any experience with the AR series X-over :)

Re: TL Design?

With Tang Band, you have to consider the particular driver, more than the their reputation as a whole. Some are good, some are not.

88 db sensitivity with 8mm x-max seems like a nice, and, rare, combination.

The one place where I saw anyone mention trying the AR XO they didn't like it, and, I haven't seen it used much, so... you'd think if it was great, people would use it more? I dunno.

gregoryh_ said:
I've been kicking around ideas for a 2 way TL design on reasonably inexpensive drivers, and I happened on the W6-1721 on the PE site..

Looks nice, but I dont have any experience with TB drivers and from what I read their advertised specs tend to be 'optimistic?
Anyone have any advice to share on this driver or on TB drivers in general?

I'd also be interested in a tweeter recommendatation to pair with this driver if anyone has any experience with the AR series X-over :)

The Tang Band Catalog also includes a similar construction 8" underhung speaker which should be available in 2 months: W8-1722. I have only seen 4 ohm versions with about 89db/watt sensitivity.

I've read some forum comments that the Tang Band supplied frequency curves are typically optimistic, so DIY measurements will be important.

Tang Band underhung motor family
5" W5-1685
6" W6-1721
8" W8-1722

European Sales site:

http://tang-band.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

It looks like the 6.5" version is in stock against all odds! To make things even sweeter, Zaph already has a pair for testing and will post the results soon.

I'm psyched, if they keep up to their efficiency spec they will make some pretty sweet 2 ways.

-David

The results are in!

http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

First off I noticed that the efficiency doesn't look as high as claimed (based on comparison to the ER18RNX).

The harmonic distortion, particularly the higher harmonics, looks as good or better than the ER18RNX. The harmonic distortion on the W6-1721 is comparable to the SB17NRX35, which is to say that is very good overall.

There is a fairly large resonant mode at ~7.5kHz that may or may not require a notch filter depending on how low and steep you crossover.

The obvious comparison will be between this driver, the ER18RNX, and the SB17NRX35.

It looks like a very close race, and if I were deciding on one (and I may be doing that soon) I think the biggest difference comes from how large an enclosure I was willing to build.

The ER18RNX works well in a fairly small 0.5cu ft enclosure tuned to 45Hz. If you try that with the W6-1721 or the SB17NRX35, there will be few dB of midbass hump.

If you allow yourself a larger enclosure, say 1.0 cuft, The W6-1721 really starts to shine when tuned around 35Hz. Combine that with the large 8mm X-max, and I doubt you would need a sub for music listening.

The SB17NRX35 seems to want a fairly large enclosure no matter what tuning you use.

They all look good, and I would be tempted to buy the W6-1721 if I didn't already have a pair of high excursion, low sensitivity drivers (extremis).

Thanks to Zaph for testing this driver (and many others)!

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.