New thread, reply to Augpro - RE: project files, dead horse beating...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, thanks! I'll email later. After all this grumbling, and, after taking a 2nd look at some of the nice Speaker Workshop "project" files Jay is sharing on his website ( Jay's Seas MTM page for example ), I figured I should just go ahead and learn Speaker Workshop, however painful it ends up being. Too bad I can't afford $400 for just the drivers to build a pair of those...

Playing with Speaker Workshop now ~ so many little details are unintuitive... I never use software manuals, and I've used hundreds, maybe thousands, of different programs, guess I have to learn how to use the manual this time :xeye:

More comments regarding people's confusion about me designing the Micro Walsh...

Yes, it's my design. Yes, I am a novice when it comes to crossovers. When it came to designing the crossover John could pretty much simulate in his head very well, then we would hookup the prototype and tweak while measuring sweeps, then we would measure the values we ended up with, then we would take the prototype to the home theater listening room and listen for a while to see if we liked the change. I wanted to keep the crossover design simple, aside from using a patented passive bass boosting circuit of John's design. After some discussion and testing, I agreed to a couple of notch filters that John wanted to add. John was the expert, and I, the noob novice, but each design aspect was my decision in the end. I wouldn't have been able to do that design without John's expert assistance and vast knowledge accumulated over 30 years in the industry; but, it is "Chris's speaker". I left Brooklyn in 2003 and I haven't been working with Ohm since then, but I do talk to John occasionally, and I have discussed with John the next model that I had hoped we would do based on the Micro Walsh, perhaps it will be completed someday, I'm not sure. Last time I talked to him he was building some prototypes similar to what I had proposed, but he was not yet happy with the results. Perhaps I'll work with him again on the next prototype.

Re: Re: Re: Wait, I'm confused

Undefinition said:

I'm not sure what "Mark's mods" are. It's a poly cone woofer, so there is no breakup mode to wrangle. You can pretty much cross it wherever you'd like (up to the point you lose off-axis response)

Well - every cone has it's problems; granted, they are less severe in poly cones, but, still they're there nonetheless. As is commonly done by DIY folks, part of Mark's mods includes removing the dust cap and putting in a plug (which he says, in this case, we should not call a "phase plug").

Here's the thread with Mark's mods: Tang Band W5-704 thread w/mods by MarkMck (see post# 49)

Wow, sorry I didn't point that thread out to you already, I had just ***umed you must have read it since it had "Tang Band W5-704" in the title, sorry... After seeing Mark's results from the mod, I'm guessing you'll want to mod your 704s. At the very least, you can try the glue ring portion without any risk of permanent affect on your speakers because the glue easily peels off, if you wanted to do so.

Sure, I like Audax drivers quite a bit. Very musical and fairly easy to work with.
Cool, I'll email you now, then you can send me your address and I'll mail off a couple this week.

Re: Re: Re: Wait, I'm confused

Undefinition said:

...send me an email. This screenname (at) aol dot com.

-Paul
Hey Paul - I sent you an email, let me know if you didn't get it. I assume "This screename" = Undefinition , right?

Looks like Speaker Workshop is easy to use... once you know how. On all these programs, the user interface is the hardest part, they're so quirky, eh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.